Come The Dawn

Come The Dawn

We buried them at dawn, not knowing if the shades of the dead would come back to haunt us.

As smoke from the burned out wreckage of the city streaked the sky above our home, the deep baritone of the war horns blared at the newly risen sun, the souls of the dead riding the note to the Halls of the Gods: we hoped. 

A handful of us remained, the loneliness of our position engulfing us; we lucky few who stood in the tattered remnants of our armour, blunted swords hanging limp in our grasp. The bloodied and beaten heart of the defence, yet we stood as whipped dogs, our tails between our legs and our spirits tainted by what we had lived through. Scarred, tired, bruised, but alive.

Just.

For only the rising sun had saved us. Only the fresh light of a new day had driven our formless foe screaming back into the shadows, howling epithets and curses at those who remained on the walls. Our survival was a lie.

But tonight the sun would set, and once again we would stand. Once again we would battle on. Only hope sustained us now. At least we had that... 

~

A micro-fiction based on a Paranormal theme for a user led contest here on Wattpad that had to be exactly 200 words long and include the three words written in bold. 

And a bit of music I like that has swords mentioned in it =]