Aeolian Future

Aeolian Future

We never wanted this: the pleasure and guilt of power, the responsibility or the fear. I never wanted to have to do what I have done. And yet here I am...

They say that pride comes before a fall. In this case pride, power and ego are responsible for the fall of millions. War: not over land, oil or water, but people... can I still call myself 'person'?

I no longer know what I am. Am I the next evolutionary step? A monster? A freak? Saviour? Or perhaps I am simply Mother Nature's way of expunging the plague of man that has slicked over her surfaces.

It matters not. Nothing matters now, the past is immaterial, irrelevant. The present is dead. The future I give back to nature to do with as she will. I have performed my last deed as the last 'super'. I have wiped the slate clean so whatever comes next has a chance, without anyone to interfere.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust" as they say. The fires of human hatred and superstition fuelled my own rage, and all that is left is ash. Ash and dust: it's piled deep now, dunes of the past blowing in Aeolian solitude across the broken down constituents of the Empire.

And so I join what I have made; broken down, unbonded, crumbling... to dust...

~~~ The End ~~~

This short, the latest of 's excellent challenges, was 'A Character' round. We had to choose from various characters and I chose the picture of a manlike figure slowly crumbling to dust as my inspiration. 

We had to place our character in a superhero based theme - either as the hero, villain or hapless victim. The word count had to be exactly 225 words.