The Race for Her Affection

The crowd had gathered early. There was an expectant air as the two competitors waited at the starting line.

Gareth glanced at his opponent who was limbering up with a look of concentration on his honest face. The wager had been simple: whoever won the race got to court the fair Desdemona; whoever lost left town.

He looked at his stubby legs and stocky body, comparing them with natural athlete that was Ian. Tall, with powerfully muscled legs, Ian's face glowed with the anticipation of the race ahead and the prize, who currently sat with her eyes fixed on his opponent.

But she would be his...

The Mayor preened for the cameras then turned to the competitors. "Are you ready gentlemen?"

Bang!

Ian took off, his legs pumping furiously as Gareth struggled to keep up, his bulk hindering his pace. After a few hundreds yards he began puffing and watched the rapidly receding back of Ian fade into the distance and the woods beyond the town.

"Well folks, what a day!" A tannoy blared into life as he struggled on. "Ian has made a great start, while Gareth is setting a steady pace. Our spotters around the course will relay progress over the ten miles, stay tuned!"

Gareth listened intently, his breath labouring and blood pounding in his head as he struggled on. Tannoy calls blared in the distance and then he heard what he had been waiting for.

"It seems our leader is so confident he has decided to take a nap! Now that's self assurance."

~

Gareth puffed across the line, Ian lumbering in a few hundred yards behind him defeat veiling his face.

He caught the eyes of his cousin with a triumphant smile. The dose of the sleeping dart had been perfect.

"And the tortoise wins!"

A 300 word short done for the entry to Challenge Corner's Grand Prix Competition - see external link

Feb 2014