Decaffeinated

“If you keep feeding that thing coffee, it’ll get grumpy.”

“Don’t be bloody daft,” grumbled the man, pouring the dregs of his beverage into the ugly looking cactus on his desk. “It’s a plant, not a triffid.”

“You’re meant to nurture plants; talk to them, water and feed them. My cactus flowers every year, your poor thing looks nearly dead.”

“Good grief Monica, what’s it going to do, attack me? It’s a sodding succulent. Honestly, I’m beginning to think you’re part cactus, you’re certainly stupid enough.”

Monica stuck her tongue out at the retreating form of her colleague as he went to replenish his 'I'm the Boss' mug. “Arsehole,” she muttered. She grabbed the pink watering can standing next to her own flower strewn cactus and leant over to pour some water into the shrivelled specimen on the desk next door. “There you go little fella: don’t worry, I’ll look after you…”

After the ambulance had gone, Monica sat down at her desk and glanced at the two cacti now resting side by side in the window; beauty and beast in succulent form.

“Who knew you could be allergic to cacti, eh little fella? Well, no more coffee for you now. I think a little plant feed would do you good, I'll be back in a moment..."

As she bustled away, the cactus unfurled a single, blood red, flower. 

 ~

To celebrate three years of being on Wattpad, and probably way too much coffee...