The Mage's Touch

The Mage's Touch

He watched as the men closed in, a mere hundred yards separating them. Feet pounding, their faces drawn back in a rictus smile of feral death, and swords raised, they raced to become the one who presented his head to the dark king.

The four children stood behind him, eyes closed as the approaching warriors screamed their hate at their foster father.

At fifty yards, Saidan lifted his arms from his sides, raising them to meet directly above his head, the palms of his hands coming together with a soft clap. As his arms described the circular movement, a vertical red wall rose from the ground without sound or warning and the attackers faltered momentarily.

Saidan sighed, and brought his arms down to point directly at the incoming attackers. He bowed his head, not wanting to see what he was about to unleash, and opened his palms.

The wall behind him exploded in a horizontal sea of blood red which streamed around Saidan and the children to hit the warriors at blistering speed. Screams were quickly choked off as the rain dissolved the men where they stood and seconds later, all that remained were a few pocked and warped swords and a stinking red puddle that sank into the ground from whence it had come.

The children opened their eyes only when the gentle touch of their father touched their skin.

"We are safe my little ones, no more fear. My promise to your mother is safe. No more running..." 

~

Another little challenge by Jules. This time she gave us a choice of 6 titles we had to choose from. 1 was to be used to write a 250-word micro short story. The genre this time in the fantasy genre.

~*~

1: Hard Thought      

2: Flames of Night

3: The Mage's Touch

4: The Cracked Spark

5: Dreams of The Mad

6: The Sword's Darkness