Chapter 4

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 4

The next day at school I had already convinced myself that I did nothing wrong and that Carla and Kate were just jealous of me because I got to hang out with the populars and I got a date with Zack but they didn’t.

Fine, let them be jealous, I don’t care.

But you’ve been ignoring them, a voice in my head said.

I scowled at that. I wasn’t ignoring them! I just got the chance to be with the populars and I took it.

Change is good. Change for the better is really good.

With that thought in mind, I lifted my head up and walked into the classroom.

The first person I saw was Zack. He smirked at me and I smiled.

“Hey there beautiful,” he said, walking closer to me to give me a hug.

“Hi,” I whispered as his arms wrapped around my waist.

“Hi!” Someone chirped from behind me. I pulled away from Zack and turned around, coming face-to-face with Candy and Mandy.

They were dressed in the same black mini-shorts and five inch stilettos but their tops were of different color. Mandy’s was a bright yellow while Candy’s was a bright green.

Their makeup and hair was identical.

I could tell them apart because Mandy had a beauty mark on her left cheek but Candy didn’t.

“Hey,” I said, smiling at my new friends.

“Soooo,” Mandy said, dragging out the ‘o’. “What’s up with you two?”

She looked pointedly at me and Zack.

I blushed slightly while Zack smirked.

“That’s a secret,” Zack joked, shooting me a wink.

“Ahh,” Mandy and Candy said, giving me knowing looks. Oh so they did know we were dating…

That shouldn’t bother me. I mean we were friends now.

I saw Carla and Kate talking and laughing. I felt a little sad because I wasn’t able to join them right now.

But I have new and better friends, I kept telling myself over and over again till I was convinced.

During classes now, the populars involved me in their jokes and rebellious acts. It was fun and it made time pass faster because I didn’t concentrate in class.

The morning classes passed quickly and soon it was time for second break. We walked to the stairs where we – the populars—always sat.

I was about to climb another stair to sit next to Amy, but a pair of arms pulled me backwards and I let out a small yelp.

I fell on someone’s lap and when I looked up, I saw Zack’s amused face.

I slapped his shoulder and scowled at him.

He gave me an innocent look and I just rolled my eyes. I was about to stand up but his arms tightened around my waist.

“Zack,” I said warningly.

“Mmm?” he asked.

“Let go,” I replied.

“No,” he said stubbornly, sounding like a five year old.