Chapter 7

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 7

I groaned and threw my math copybook. It hit the wall then fell awkwardly on the floor of my room.

I couldn’t understand anything! I’ve been sitting with my copybook for approximately two hours now. Ever since Landon and Hannah left, I’ve been trying to study but I was always getting distracted. It was either Zack or the twins texting me.

It was bad enough that I didn’t understand those two chapters. I didn’t need the distraction! But I couldn’t just ignore my friends and my boyfriend.

I felt like school was suffocating me.

I needed a break. Why did we have to have all those tests this week? Couldn’t they postpone the math test for Monday?

How should I find time for math, friends, boyfriend, and family? There are not enough hours a day for all those things!

It was eleven o'clock when I decided that I was going to stop trying – and failing—to understand math. I was going to fail the math test tomorrow, that I was sure of.

I threw my copybook away and laid in my bed, looking up at the ceiling. Suddenly an awesome idea popped up in my head and I grinned like a fat kid who just received fifty pounds of chocolate.

I knew what I could do to make my grades better.

I cleared my mind, took a deep breath and murmured, “I want to have better grades.”

I didn’t think of anything else after that statement. I just fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up feeling anxious. I had my math test in around an hour and I was really hoping that the wish came true. I was almost sure that it did because all the other wishes I have previously made did so why not this one, right?

I put on faded blue jeans and a black V-neck shirt. I slipped on my black converse and tried not to think of my test as I put on some make up and fixed my hair.

I didn’t have breakfast because I didn’t think my stomach would digest food now. I was so nervous, I couldn’t eat.

I got to school and started biting my nails as I sat in my chair and waited for the teacher to start giving out the math test papers.

I tried to relax as Zack had told me this morning. He noticed that I was nervous and tried to calm me down. I appreciated the effort even though it didn’t help much.

I closed my eyes and took two calming breaths as soon as the teacher put my paper on my desk. I then slowly opened one eye and took a peak. I read the first question and my other eye opened on its own when I realized that I knew the answer.

And so I picked up my pen and started writing away!

Forty minutes later, the teacher took the papers and Zack sauntered over to my desk.

“How did you do?” He asked.

I blinked at the question sheet on my desk then lifted my eyes to look at him.

“I-I did pretty well,” I said. I knew now that the wish definitely worked because if I had to do that test last night, I wouldn’t have gotten any of the answers but surprisingly I did most of it today.

I should get at least a 70% on that test.

He grinned at me and kissed my lips briefly.

“That’s great, babe,” he said. “See? I told you not to worry.”