Chapter 13 - Patrick

"Pick one," Allie stated, holding out two films to me. In her left hand, she held Ghostbusters, and in her right, The Breakfast Club. Without answering her, I cocked an eyebrow and looked at her as if she should know which movie I wanted to watch. She sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes, setting The Breakfast Club back on the shelf. "I figured," she laughed. I watched her bend down to the DVD player to put the film in, and when she straightened up, she motioned to the couch. "Make yourself at home."

            I complied, settling myself into the corner of the couch while Allie went to make popcorn. By the time she came back, the title screen was blaring the Ghostbusters theme song at me. She settled down, ironically, at the complete opposite side of the couch, cramming herself into the corner as if being too close to me would be wrong. She was nervous, but I wanted to break down that damn wall she was putting up. I had to, if I wanted to win her back. And God, did I want to win her back.

            The last month has made me realize how much I'd missed her over the years. There wasn't a single morning that I didn't wake up thinking about her, nor a single night that I didn't fall asleep with her on my mind. I was right back to where I was in high school, except this time, she wasn't my girlfriend. She was just my friend, barely, and I wasn't quite sure how to make it any more than that. Did she even want it to be more? I know I did, but she was the one who left, all those years ago. She never came looking for me. She would never have gone to that concert if I hadn't written a painfully obvious song about her. Maybe I was just chasing something that would never be, but at this moment, as I watched her instead of the movie, I knew that she was something special.

            "Patrick?" Her voice broke me out of the trance I was apparently in, just staring at her.

            I shook my head, trying to brush off the awkward moment. "Yeah?"

            "You were staring...are you okay?"

            "Yeah, yeah," I lied, "I'm fine. Sorry, just zoned out for a second. Jet lagged, I guess." I smiled reassuringly, and Allie nodded.

            She focused back on the movie and I suddenly had an idea. Slowly leaning forward, I snatched the bowl of popcorn from her hands and held it triumphantly over my head, grinning. She glared at me and held a hand out. "Give that back," she whined, a smile playing at the corners of her lips.

            I shook my head, holding it up higher in a challenge. Allie smirked and moved closer, reaching up to take the bowl. I pulled it back behind my head, laughing as she sighed in frustration. "Come and get it," I teased.

            "Patrick Stump, I swear," Allie breathed, leaning over me with careful measures to avoid touching me. Well, that just wouldn't do.

            "Oooh," I chuckled, "My last name...so threatening, Alexandra."

            "Don't call me that," She snapped, reaching for the bowl again.

            "Alexandra."

            "Patrick."

            "Alexandra."

            "Patrick!" She lunged for the bowl then, fed up with my childish teasing, and landed right on top of me, chest to chest. She didn't seem to notice, as she was still fighting for her popcorn, so I took the chance to wrap my free arm around her waist and spin her around so that her back was leaning against my chest. "Hey!" She squealed, but then I dropped the popcorn bowl gently onto her lap, and contentedly squeezed my arms around her middle.