Chapter 25 - Patrick

I couldn't sleep, that night. I was too happy, and far too in love with the woman sleeping beside me. I simply laid there and held her close, acutely aware of the feeling of her heart beating. She slept soundly, as I wished I could have, but I didn't mind too much. I drifted off here and there, until I woke up once to light pouring garishly through the window. I carefully unwound my arms from Allie, and sat up a bit to see the clock on the opposite wall. It was 5:30, and the busses were scheduled to leave by 6:00.

With a sigh, I laid back down and wrapped my arms around Allie again. She stirred and mumbled in her sleep, so I leaned over her and kissed her cheek. "Wake up, baby," I whispered, gently rubbing my hand up and down her bare arm. She rolled towards me, blinking sleepily. "We have to be on the bus in a half hour," I reminded her.

She groaned and rolled to face me fully, cuddling up against me with her face pressed to my neck and our legs tangled together. She sighed against my neck and I shivered, wishing we had more time to be alone. "Patrick?" She murmured, absently drawing patterns on my chest with her fingers.

"Hmm?"

"Last night was amazing," Allie sighed. She pressed a kiss to my chest and I returned one to the top of her head.

"Beyond amazing," I corrected her, "And I love you so much, Allie."

She smiled and looked up at me, waiting for a kiss. I kissed her softly and she slowly pulled away. "I love you too," she said, sitting up. I couldn't help but stare as the sheets fell away from her, but she didn't seem to mind. "Ready?" She asked. I sighed and ran a hand over my eyes. She giggled and grabbed my hand to pull me out of bed with her. "Come on, 'Trick," she laughed, "Come shower with me."

My eyes snapped open at that, eliciting another laugh from my girlfriend, and I quickly got up to follow her to the bathroom. Twenty minutes later, we were both dressed and ready to go. I gathered up all of our things and stuffed them unceremoniously into our bags, while Allie finished doing her hair. She wanted to look at least half-way presentable to get on the bus, even though we both knew we were probably going to pass out as soon as we got to our bunk. As I threw my jeans from last night into a bag, I remembered at the last second to take the ring box out of my pocket. I slid it into the pocket of my cardigan for now, making a mental note to hide it as soon as I got on the bus.

When Allie was ready to go, we walked out of the room together, running into Andy and Pete in the hallway. Joe, apparently, was already on the bus. Allie took my hand as I fell into step behind Pete, all of us sharing sleepy smiles with each other. As we boarded the bus, I let Allie on first and held Pete back for a moment. I pulled out the ring and handed it to him. "Take this to Andy," I whispered, "Have him hang onto it for me. I don't want her to find it."

Pete grinned and nodded. "Got it," he said, and he quickly ran off to the other bus. I made my way onto ours and went straight for the bunk, throwing my bags down and nearly collapsing beside Allie, who was already curled up next to the wall. Needless to say, we both passed out in a matter of minutes.

I woke up around noon to find that Allie was not beside me. I heard the television from the front of the bus, and decided to get up to look for her. I dragged myself out of bed and ran a hand through my hair in a half-assed attempt to fix the bedhead. I waked through the door yawning, only to find Pete sprawled out on the couch. He glanced up at me and grinned. "Morning, sunshine," he teased.

I rolled my eyes and started to walk back the other way. "Have you seen Allie?" I called back to him.

"She's in the back," Pete muttered, his eyes glued to the TV again. I walked back to the lounge and opened the door to find my girlfriend leaning back on the couch, with her headphones in. Her eyes were closed and she was moving her lips along to the lyrics. As I walked closer, I realized that she was listening to Fall Out Boy. I smirked and stood right in front of her, waiting for her to open her eyes. She was listening to Take This To Your Grave, mouthing the words to Saturday. When she didn't notice me, I leaned down and tugged on one of her headphones so it fell into her lap. Her eyes flew open, and she smiled at me, blushing.