Chapter 23 - Patrick

Allie was waiting for me backstage after the first concert in New York. I nearly sprinted to her, lifting her into my arms and spinning her around as she laughed and hugged me tightly around my neck. "That was amazing!" She squealed, leaning back to kiss me as I set her back on her feet. I was all sweaty, but she didn't seem to care. We walked back to the dressing room, hand-in-hand, and with my guitar still slung over my shoulder. Allie sat on the couch while I cleaned up a bit, ranting about how much she loved the show. I simply smiled and listened to her, wondering how I was lucky enough to have her.

I could barely keep my eyes off of her during the show. I kept glancing off to the side of the stage to where she stood, barely hidden by the curtain. Joe noticed, and kept teasing me through the special microphone we had set up near Andy, where the audience couldn't hear what we were saying to each other. I ignored him every time, but it really only served to make me want to look over at her more often. I couldn't help it; She was my everything.

Just as I was finishing up, Pete and Andy walked in, high-fiving me as they walked by. Allie got up to hug them both, squealing again about how amazing it was. Joe followed shortly after, receiving the same treatment from my girlfriend. We soon made our way back out to the busses to shower, and Allie retired to the back lounge to Skype with her publisher. Pete showered first, and while I waited, I checked my twitter. Fans were all gushing over the performance, and a few were still commenting on my girlfriend. They all seemed to love Allie, except for the few angry ones that I expected, but I was happy to know that most of them supported us.

Just as I was beaming at my phone, Pete stepped out of the bathroom, a towel around his waist as he went to search for clothes. He smirked at me and nudged my arm as he passed me. "What are you smiling about, Pattycakes?"

I glared at him and shoved my phone in my pocket. "Nothing. Are you finished in there?" I gestured to the bathroom and he nodded, so I grabbed my towel and set my glasses down on my bunk.

"Hey," Pete muttered, making me stop in the doorway. "Allie's in a Skype call, right?" I nodded and he sat down on the spare bunk, pointing to my bunk as if to tell me to join him. I sighed and did as he asked. Pete folded his hands, leaning towards me with the most serious look on his face that I've ever seen him capable of. "When are you going to marry her?" He asked,.

Well, at least he was straight forward. "I'm sorry?" I asked, smiling a bit in amusement.

"You literally cannot keep your eyes off her," Pete said, almost whispering so Allie couldn't hear him. "I saw you tonight. And I saw her watching you. And I watch you two manhandle each other all damn day every day. Just get it the fuck over with and marry her!"

"Pete, we've been back together for like what...not even four months yet?"

"But you want to marry her," Pete stated, smiling at the fact that I don't say no.

"Of course I do," I shrugged, not embarrassed to admit it, but blushing all the same. "But I don't think it's the right time yet...is it?" I looked at my best friend for an answer, and he merely shrugged.

"You'll know when it's right," he said, standing up and holding onto his towel.

"That's the problem," I said, while he pulled out his pajamas. "It's felt right since I saw her staring at me during that concert in Chicago, Pete."

He sighed and looked over at me. "Okay, I'll tell you what. Next week, after we finish off the east coast, we have hotel night in Florida. Before we leave, you and I will go out shopping for a ring. We'll send Allie off with Andy and Joe or something, and once you have a ring, you can wait as long as you think you need to before you give it to her. But at least this way, you'll be prepared. Deal?"