Chapter 21-Allie

The two weeks went by fast, as well as the next month after we got back home. Patrick was busy day in and day out recording with the guys, and I was busy at home, finishing my book. I finally finished it just a week before the release of the boys' comeback album, Save Rock and Roll. While they were busy preparing, I was sending my book to one publisher after another, waiting for their acceptance or criticism of my book. The first four publishers sent the book back, "regretfully" telling me that they could not publish it. I kept trying, knowing that eventually, someone would like my book.

Patrick was, as always, very supportive. He encouraged me to send the book out again and again, every time it got declined. This time, when the letter came in the mail from the latest publishing coming I had sent it to, Patrick was at home, in his own personal studio. I couldn't hear the music coming from the floor below me, but I could feel the bass thumping and rattling the hardwood floors as I stood in the kitchen, making lunch. I was standing over the stove, when I glanced up at the window to see the mailman coming down our street. I quickly finished what I was doing and washed my hands, since I was a little messy from cooking, and nearly sprinted out to the front porch. The mail was already in our mailbox, and I recognized the company's name on the return address of one of the letters in our pile. The rest were just bills, and I quickly discarded those on the table as I sprinted down the stairs to the basement.

"Patrick!" I shouted, quickly hammering my fist on the door. The music stopped, and Patrick curiously came to the door and let me in. He usually didn't mind when I had to bother him for something, but I always hated interrupting him when he was working. Nevertheless, I bounced excitedly up and down as I entered the room, and he shut the door again to turn and see me with the letter clutched happily to my chest.

"Publishers?" He asked, gesturing to the letter. I nodded and he pulled up a stool, pulling me onto his lap as I started to open it. I pulled the letter out and quickly scanned the page, barely reading but understanding the first few words all too well. Patrick rested his chin on my shoulder and read it as well, his arms tightening around my waist.

I sighed and dropped the paper into my lap, running a hand over my eyes. "They don't want it," I muttered.

Patrick kissed my cheek and took the paper from me, gently pushing me off his lap to set the letter on the counter, next to one of his notebooks that he must have been working out of. He pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back. "It'll happen, baby girl," he promised, "You're an amazing writer."

"You keep saying that," I sighed, pushing myself away from him, only to be pulled back in.

"I keep saying it because it's true, Al," he chuckled. I smiled and he dropped a kiss on top of my head. "You know what, I have some good news to cheer you up," he added, propelling me back onto the stool while he went back to grab his notebook.

"And what's that?" I asked, watching him begin to clean up his work. He set his guitar back onto its stand and gathered up his couple of stray papers, shoving them into his notebook.

"When I met with the guys last night, we talked about touring the album. We're going to be gone for about a year, maybe more, and we want to start as soon as the album drops. We don't want to waste any time, you know? Just put it all out there at once."

I frowned and watched him shuffle about the room. "You leaving in less than three weeks for a year-long tour is supposed to cheer me up?"

Patrick chuckled and finally came over to crouch down in front of my stool, taking my hand in both of his. "No, baby girl. I talked to the guys, and we all agreed that you should come with us on tour. There's more than enough room on the buses, and to be honest, Pete and I could probably use a woman around to keep us in check." I giggled at that, a smile lighting up my face. Patrick beamed at me, biting his lip in excitement. "So...what do you say?"

"Of course," I gasped, throwing my arms around his neck. "I would love to tour with you guys!"

Patrick laughed and kissed my cheek, pulling back to grin at me again. "One more surprise, then," he told me, "About halfway through the tour, after our Chicago show, I asked your best friend if she wanted to come with us for a bit."

"Sara's coming?" I asked, smiling even wider now. We haven't been able to hang out as much as we used to, as she was busy with work and I was busy with Patrick.

"For two months," Patrick said. I hugged him again, and he laughed.

"I love you so much, Patrick," I sighed pulling back to kiss him. He smiled against my lips and broke away to stand up.

"I love you too, Allie."

Three weeks flew by. The day before we were going to leave for tour, I received another letter from the seventh publisher I had sent my book to. I didn't even bother going to find Patrick this time before I opened it, as I was fairly certain it was just a letter to tell me that they would not publish me. I ripped it open unceremoniously and read through it, then froze for a moment and read through it again. My jaw dropped; They liked my book. They liked my book.

"Patrick," I breathed, before shouting it as loud as I could up the stairs. "Patrick!" My boyfriend came sprinting down the stairs, looking panicked, and nearly crashed into me as he rounded the corner into the kitchen.

"What? What's wrong, did something happen?" His hands came to my face and he looked me up and down, as if he expected me to be hurt. I merely smiled and shook my head. "Why did you scream like that?" He frowned, dropping his hands to his sides as he took a deep breath to calm himself. I held out the paper and he took it, looking confused for a moment until his eyes landed on the words written there. "Oh my God," he whispered, "Allie...oh my God...."He dropped the paper and rushed to lift me into his arms, spinning me around on the spot and peppering my face with kisses. "I'm so proud of you, baby," he said as he set me back down, grabbing my face and kissing me.

I laughed and smiled at him as he pulled away. "Go finish packing," I told him, propelling him towards the stairs. "I have to call the publisher and see if I can set up some Skype meetings to go over the book while we're touring. Start packing my things for me."

Patrick turned around stubbornly just to kiss me again before he ran back up the stairs, and I retreated to the living room to start making phone calls. I was so giddy with excitement, that it was hard not to squeal when the publisher agreed to work with me over Skype. By the end of the night, when I finally joined Patrick in our bedroom, he had already finished packing. He knew everything I would need and already had it in our suitcases. We went to bed happy that night, ready to get an early start when the tour bus picked us up first thing in the morning.