Chapter 19 - Patrick

The past two weeks flew by too fast. Pete and I have been working constantly, writing, rewriting, arguing, and finally calling Joe and Andy to come to a consensus on the few songs we managed to pump out. Allie and I spent the rest of that first weekend moving all of her things into my place. If you were to walk into my house now, it was almost painfully obvious that there was a woman living there. She decorated, of course, and I didn't stop her. I wanted her to make this house hers as much as it was mine, because it was her home now too. I just wanted her to be happy.

Unfortunately, she was the exact opposite of happy when she dropped Pete and I off at the airport that morning. "Call me when you land," she told me, nervously straightening out my shirt and cardigan, reaching up to reposition my fedora. "And be careful with your guitars. Don't do anything stupid with the guys, please, and make sure you text me when you finish that meeting with –"

"Baby," I whispered, grabbing her hands gently and smiling at her. "I'll be okay. I'll call when I land, and I'll call you every night and text you all day whenever I can. I promise, okay?"

She finally smiled at me, albeit a little solemnly, but lifted herself up on her toes to kiss me. "I love you," she whispered, hugging me tight.

I held her and gently swayed back and forth. "I love you too. I'll see you in two weeks." I kissed her once more as I pulled away, and walked with Pete towards the gate. I glanced back at her as we stood in line to board, and she was still standing where I'd left her. She gave me a small wave, and I could see the tears in her eyes, even from a distance. I smiled at her and blew a kiss, waving back.

"She'll be okay," Pete assured me, also waving to Allie. "She's a strong girl, and it's only two weeks. It'll go by fast."

I sighed, still watching her as we waited. "I hope so, Pete."

Almost five hours later, our plane touched down in Los Angeles, California. Pete and I gathered our carry-on bags and waited to get off, while I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and quickly typed out a message to Allie.

Just landed, sweetheart. I miss you already.

Just as I hit the "send" button, Pete started to push me along the aisle. Almost as soon as we stepped foot in the airport, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I quickly pulled it back out to read the message Allie had sent back.

I'm glad you made it safely! I miss you too, Trick. I hope these two weeks go by fast.

I smiled and began texting back, Pete chuckling as he ushered me along the hallway. I was far too enamored with texting my girlfriend to pay attention to where I was going, but I trusted Pete enough to navigate us through the airport. By the time I sent the message, we had already made it to the front doors.

I hope so too, Al. Pete and I are going to find a cab to get us to our hotel. I'll call you as soon as I get there. I love you, sweetheart.

I shoved my phone in my pocket, and helped Pete hail a cab. As we climbed in the back seat, Pete grinned at me. I stared back at him, shrugging. "What?" I asked.

Pete laughed and shook his head. "You are so whipped," he teased.

I smiled and shook my head, unable to even deny it. "I love her," I mumbled, looking down at my feet. Pete smiled back at me, letting it go, and my phone buzzed again. I smiled as I read the simple text she had sent back.