Chapter 15 - Patrick

That night, Allie and I stood over the balcony in her apartment. We had driven back to her place after dinner, since she had the bigger movie collection, and were planning on spending the night together. I stood behind her, my arms around her waist and my chin on her shoulder. Her arms were wrapped around mine and she was leaning into me, her eyes turned up to the stars. Her scarf, I decided, was covering too much of her skin. I turned my nose into her neck and nudged the scarf away, using one hand to help me loosen it. I kissed her softly a few times, my lips barely ghosting over her skin, and she pulled away from me, giggling. "That tickles," she laughed, looking at me over her shoulder.

"Then come here," I muttered, turning her around and gently pushing her against the railing. I kissed her, slowly and passionately, for a long time. Finally, I had to pull away to breathe. Her eyes fluttered open slowly, and I kissed her nose. "So," I whispered, "We're doing this?"

"Us?" She asked. I nodded. "That's up to you, Patrick."

Confused, I shook my head. "Allie, this one's on you. If you want to be with me, just say the word."

"Of course I want to be with you," She whispered, tugging on my cardigan to pull me closer. "But, Patrick...you deserve better than me. You deserve someone who isn't going to run away as soon as she gets scared."

Frowning, I pulled her as close as I could and planted a lingering kiss on her lips. "I told you before," I whispered, "I don't want better. I want you." Allie nodded, and I could see the tears forming in her eyes. I hugged her tightly against me, slowly rocking her back and forth. "Don't cry, sweetheart," I whispered against her hair, kissing the top of her head. "Please, don't cry."

"I missed you so much, Patrick," Allie whimpered, her body shaking as she sobbed against my shoulder. I kissed her head again. "I was so stupid."

"Don't say that," I whispered, "You weren't stupid. It just wasn't our time, yet. But it is now, as long as you want it to be. I already know I can't let go of you, Allie. I spent eleven years trying, but here I am, and I'm not going anywhere." Allie leaned back to look at me, her cheeks stained with tears. I smiled at her and gently wiped the wetness away from her face. "So," I whispered, grinning crookedly at her, "Will you have me, Alexandra Fisk? Will you be my girlfriend again?"

Immediately, a smile broke out across her face, and she playfully slapped my chest. "Just don't ever call me Alexandra again, 'Trick."

I laughed, but dug my fingers into her hips as I pulled her closer again. I bit my lip and playfully rubbed my nose against hers. "Say it again," I requested.

Allie cocked an eyebrow at me and giggled. "Say what again?" She asked.

"My name," I whispered.

"Patrick?" I shook my head, then buried my face between her neck and shoulder while I waited for her to figure it out. "...'Trick?" She said softly, after a moment's consideration.

I shivered, loving the nickname she had given to me nearly sixteen years ago, when we'd first started dating. "One more time," I whispered, kissing her neck.

"'Trick," she whispered, smiling widely as I pulled at her scarf again and nipped at her collarbone. She laughed, gently pushing me away. "Slow down there, 'Trick," she muttered, pulling me in for a quick kiss to her lips.

"What? I can't make out with my girlfriend?" I teased.

Allie giggled and pushed past me to pull me into the house behind her. "You can," she said, "But I only go so far on the first date, Mr. Stump."