Chapter 69.

I follow Landon to the stadium, I decided earlier to drive on my own so I could leave when I wanted without disrupting Landon and Dakota's night. I park my car in the spot next to Landon and text Zed to tell him that I have arrived. He tells me to meet him at the far left corner of the field.

"Zed is going to meet us in the back." I tell Landon as him and Dakota walk up.

"Sounds good." Landon says, he seems less than thrilled.

"Who's Zed?" Dakota asks.

"He's my.. friend. " He is just my friend.

"Hardin is your boyfriend right?" She asks. I look over at her. She doesn't seem to be implying anything, she just seems confused.

"No babe, neither of them are her boyfriend." Landon laughs.

"It's not as bad as it sounds." I laugh too. The school band begins to play and the field becomes more and more crowded, I am relieved when I spot Zed leaving against the fence.

"Oh." Dakota squeaks. I can't tell if she surprised by his tattoos and piercings or his good looks, maybe both.

"Hey beautiful." Zed beams and hugs me. I smile at him, returning the hug.

"I'm Zed, it's nice to meet you both." He nods towards Landon and Dakota. I know he has met Landon before but he is just trying to be polite.

"Have you been here long?" I ask him.

"Only about ten minutes, there are a lot more people here than I expected." he tells me. Landon leads the way to a less crowded area by the enormous mound of wood and we sit on the ground. Dakota sits between Landon's legs and leans back against his chest. The sun is going down and the breeze is picking up, I should have worn long sleeves. 

"Yea, have you been to one before?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No, this isn't my typical scene" he laughs. "but I am glad to be here tonight." he adds.

I smile at his compliment and someone begins to speak into a microphone talking about lighting the fire. Less than a minute later, the fire ignites and swallows the mound of wood fiercely. It's actually quite beautiful being this close to the flames.

"So how long are you here?' Zed asks Dakota.

"Only the weekend, I wish I could be here for the wedding next weekend." she frowns.

"What wedding?" Zed asks. I look at Landon and he answers.

"My mother's wedding." He tells him.

"Oh.." he seems to be thinking about something.

"What?" I ask him.

"Nothing, I'm just trying to remember who else is going to a wedding next weekend. Oh yea, Hardin I think. He was asking us what he should wear to a wedding." he says. My heart stops. "It's probably a different wedding though, right?" He asks. Hardin hasn't told any of his friends that his father is the chancellor or that he is marrying Landon's mother.

"No, they are.." Dakota begins.

"I'm sure it's a different wedding" I interrupt her and Landon says something in her ear. Hardin was actually considering going to the wedding? Why else would  he ask his friends what he should wear to a wedding?

"I can't imagine Hardin at anyone's wedding anyway." Zed laughs.

"Why not?" My tone is a little harsher than I meant it to be.

"I don't know, because he is Hardin. The only way to get him to go to a wedding would be if he knew he could have sex with all the bridesmaids." He says and rolls his eyes.