Chapter 5

The first year went as fast as it came, and my birthday was inching near. That year, I planned to do something I had never done before: to throw a birthday party.
Since I had no idea who I should invite for the reason that all of my classmates had been so nice to me that it seemed unfair to only invite few of them, so I handed out invitations to everyone a week before my birthday, gripping tightly on my hopes that they would all come.
------------------
By the reason of me that I didn't like party games and that I didn't enjoy party food that much, I had decided that we'd have a movies day. It's obvious which movie I chose--Maleficent.
Finally my big day came, and despite the fact that it was only 11 in the morning, I was exasperated as hell. That night before I tossed and turned with replete excitement and had not had one blink of sleep. My eyelids grew as heavy as a ton of rocks as I waited for my party-attendants, finally, I could hold it no longer and I gave in to the lingering hefty weight. I curled up in a ball on the couch. It was not before darkness swept over me against the will of the slender fingers that were squeezing and releasing my heart ceaselessly, making my heart throb with agitated agony.
I woke with a start by the the chirpy voices from my playmates, making me bolt up right in a blink of an eye. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" screamed the children a I rubbed my seared eyes. The floor was trashed everywhere with prettily wrapped parcels, tagged with all kinds of shapes and sizes of prices of paper, handwriting amplified by bright colours smiling eagerly at me as if, shouting my name in clear, still voices. Just looking at them made me fill with warmth.
   Then my cheeks burnt with embarrassment as I realised that all of my classmates would have seen my too-attractive side when I slept, but I was was too aflame to care.
"Get up, you lazy-bug! We can't have a birthday party without our birthday girl!" Mary shouted.
Every time I got into trouble, the living doll was by my side, calming me down and reassuring me that if I don't echo the same mistake again, I won't get told off or punished again. That's a fair trade. Having her by my side also calmed my nerves down quite a lot when I get horribly annoyed, that's what makes her such a good friend.
I crawled in front of the television, eyes still half-open, I slid open the drawers underneath and rummaged around until I found the DVD box with a woman with horns and extraordinarily sharp cheekbones and immediately fished it out with pride smeared on my face.
Open.
Click.
Close.
Play.
Then the television flickered on and blasted the Disney theme song audibly and audaciously as we sat down and didn't move a muscle, like we were all hypnotised. And yes it was my 44th time.