Chapter 10

This is a part of my life that I could never delete from my mental lifeline. I could still remember it as clearly as if the event had been carved and inch deep into my flesh, muscles, bones.
It was a gloomy day, the day I returned to school, praying to all kinds of gods, Egyptian, Greek and all and hung severely into my straws that nobody could notice the embarrassing bulge in my back. Grey clouds of used clay hung heavily in the dull sky, ready to shed tears as if because of my dreadful life.
I had an appointment at the end of school at St. Bart's hospital and I had been pretty edgy about it the whole day. Will the doctors say anything mean to me? Will they find out the cause of this weird thing? Or would they even know what this is?
As I watched each second tick pass on the clock face, I felt the growing uneasiness nagging at my stomach, and stopping my blood from flowing, lowering my body temperature and making me shiver of the chill, fright and concern all at once.
My teacher must have saw me quivering as she stopped in the middle of her announcement, which I had unquestionably not heard, and asked, worry burning flame-hot in her eyes if I was alright. I shot up from my chair at once and denied any reason that he should have any worries about me as it would bring severe attention to the ugly devils hiding behind my back.
"I'm... Alright. Please don't worry about me, I'm just a bit..."
"Yes?"
"My dad's..." I trailed off and mentally kicked myself to think quickly and finish up the rubbish excuse.
"Car." I finished, glancing at him and eyes dashing back to the floor as I felt the hair on the back o fly neck stand up in anxiety.
"It broke down and needed repairing." I blurted.
I felt Mr. Rayne's glare burning and tearing through the my flesh as the fever did and my classmates' troubled glances shooting daggers at me. I quickly sat back down and buried my face in a textbook and struggled to hide from the world of misunderstanding. Awkward silence rang out for what seemed like forever before he summoned the students attention and continued his announcement once again. I sat, deep in thought, mulling over how I should react when the doctors told me the appointment result. Should I be surprised or should I feel disappointed that friends will probably no longer accept me as one of them? The tiny voice echoed through my mind, lighting up my anger match and setting an explosion of cursing words into out of my mouth.
"SHUT UP!!"
Heads turned and stared and I felt my cheeks tingle with heat. Never before had I shouted in class, and this surprises my classmates as much as it did to me. Ugh! Why had I done it? Now people will accuse me of strange things that are happening to me, especially when that all happened after my strange fever.
Above all the attention, Mary was the one who caught my eye. Her gaze was still reassuring, promising me to make this better, as if she knew as clear as crystal, what was happening.