Chapter 22

Not the weather I would choose on my birthday, really. The gloomy sky hardly cast any shadows on the slightly damp ground beneath us from the soft drizzle the night before. I liked the sun more. I don't get how people think the opposite. Rain is bad.
I gazed far on the vast, grey void and sought the lucky, pretty birds, but there were none.
Strange. I thought, until I remembered that the rain had just come and gone.
"Hello? Pretty bird, rise and shine, I know it's dark but please don't mistake it for midnight." Rachel complained in a duh tone.
I elbowed her and shot her a just be patient! look. "It's called bird watching for a fudging reason!"
"Its not called bird waiting, what the heck." she argued.
"Yeah, but it's not called bird seeing. Seeing and watching are two very different things, kid." I explained half-heartedly.
"Seriously, do you do-- OH MY GOD' There it is! I think I see a black kite, am I right? " she interrupted herself by her own excited squeals as this was her first time seeing a variety of birds like kites, hawks and swans and all that.
"Nope, it's a freaking bald-eagle dude." I giggled at her bad observation skills as I determined the breed by putting my binoculars to my eyes and magnifying the bird by 60 times at least.
"Awh..."
"There's a lot to learn." Jason reassured.

Hours drift past right before our dazzled eyes, unnoticed and reluctant. Beatrice glanced down at her watch and suggested that we leave after 10 more minutes. We all nodded in agreement and continued to stare through our binoculars, fascinated by how the seagulls dive and splash into the sea and shoot straight back up again, sometimes a slick creature dangling from their tight grip.
I loved how they were so swift, how easily they could cut through the air, defying all the possible laws of gravity. I wish I could do that. I wish I could have my own world high above, away from all humankind who brought stress, depression and many other negative emotions that nobody, I believe, hopes to feel.