Chapter 13

My blood ran cold and solidified to crimson ice. My fingernails dogged into my numbed palm as I banged and drummed on the heavy wooden door that opened to an even more treacherous life. Was it the loud shouts and screams that kept both of the women from hearing me? Or was it the tension of fury doing the job? At the conclusion that to continue begging at the door would only break my wrists, I let out a sob and turned, ready to go. I halted. I couldn't just leave, could I? I couldn't stray the streets like a lost cat, roaming the city, searching for its home, while actually trudging further and further away.
I leaned backwards and trusted the door to catch me and the world moved upwards, over my head and out of sight. My 'hamsters' pressed against the copper door, I brought my knees up to my chest and my bleeding palms up to my face and let my tears mix with the oozing blood.
Suddenly silence washed over me and I stopped inhaling breaths that stung my lungs. The silence was eerie. Disturbing. Then a moan shattered it into million pieces. A moan that a soldier would let out before he was put to an end, warning the enemy that his people would return.
Mom lost, my thoughts whispered their theory. And the big lurch behind my back confirmed it. The world went even further around the top of my head as I was thrown forward on my chest, internally groaning.
"Oh my goodness, Maleficent! What the bloody hell are you doing?"
Ignorance was a bliss. The cold of the floor seeped into my skin and calmed my nerves. My eyelids shut and relaxed. Life couldn't get any worse, they assured, which I later looked back on and found that it was quite an impossible thing to think of in my situation. As if I was unconscious, I didn't move a muscle no matter how hard my mother tried to haul me off the cleanly dusted floor. The troubles I've ever had left my veins, letting the warm blood, for once since forever, flow comfortably. My heart protested against the floor and punched it with the strong pulses. My mother groaned again as she lifted me from my awkward position as I struggled to get my knees planted on the floor properly. Instantly, the agony smashed back in place as I flinched and the blood ran cold once more, turning my hands to a block of ice and frost.
I got to my feet and started trudging to my car, leaning on my mother for support. Mother opened the door and I climbed in, sitting horizontally across the car seats in the back.
"So?"
"What?"
"How did it go?"
"How did what go? Hey, be specific!"
"That!"
"What?"
"That! That thing you insisted to do while I with all the power of Ra rejected you to."
Sigh.
And I assume it wasn't for me to hear. Sigh. Yup, she lost. And I was sure I wasn't leaving this school either. Sigh. How?