C H A P T E R 3

Golden rain keep falling

Falling from the sky

Old oak tree’s bare branches

Wrapped in frost and ice

And through the freezing mist and fog

Cuts like a sharpened knife

A little girl running through

The paths engulfed in snow

Waiting for the burning world

Of Christmas that draws so close

C H A P T E R      3

Sarah was at the shops, and Jesse was in school, and I felt strangely hyper. I wanted to run and go outside. So I got up out of bed meaning to go out into the garden. But before I could I realized that I had only ever seen one room, the one I had been in before, so I decided I'd explore the house.

The room next to me was the kitchen. It was small, but cozy, although a little messy. Then the next room was the living room, which was bigger. It had two sofas and a TV, but as I guessed most of the house would be, it was simple, and a little old fashioned. There were pictures hanging up on the wall in the hall way and up the stairs. There were three rooms up there, a small bedroom that I guessed was Sarah's due to the makeup bag on the bedside table and the pink bed covers. I didn't spend long in there because I felt I was intruding, same with Jesse's. After that the rooms got boring, some bathrooms, a shower, and that was it. But I found some good hiding places along the way!

I went back down stairs and then looked out side the window. It was snowing! I was so happy. I hadn't felt this white powder on my skin for what seemed like years! I watched as it fell, beautiful and pure and decided that at some point I would sketch a snow flake, or if it settled, a tree covered in snow. I jumped up and down in excitement and resisted the urge to squeal. And then I raced back into my room and jumped up and down on the bed, a grin plastered across myself. I could feel my hair going crazy, my eyes must have been wide and excited but I couldn't stop. I wanted to run, but I knew Sarah and Jesse would be back soon so I couldn't. Instead I jumped higher and higher, giving in to silent laughter. I did a cartwheel. Wow! It's been a long time since I did one of those... I must be excited! But why the hell shouldn't I be? It was snowing!

And then I saw Sarah and Jesse outside the window watching me. I froze, fought back the urge to swear. I heard the door click open and Sarah come in with Jesse behind her. I just stood there on the bed; there was no point in pretending.

'Love? What... What where you... How...'

I smiled sheepishly and sat.

And then Jesse came in.

'I saw you... I saw you jumping... You can walk... But... you were ordered bed rest...'

I shrugged and stared at him indifferently as if to say 'why do you care?'

But he shook his head, to clear his thoughts, I assume, and then looked over at his mother, who was just standing there watching me silently. And then I looked over at the window. It was settling! I could practically feel my eyes light up. I ran out the room, bare foot and in the PJs Sarah had brought me the day after they found me. I ran out of the front door that had been left open and danced. I danced barefoot, that day. I danced barefoot in the snow. And I laughed silently at the shock on Sarah's face. She was too shocked even to tell me to get back to bed. And I expected Jesse to be the same, or not to care at all...

But on the contrary Jesse was the opposite. He got on his shoes and boots, and his coat and then he picked up a ball of snow, and threw it, so it narrowly missed my shoulder. I smirked at him. So he was going to play it that way was he? Big mistake! And I leant down grabbed some snow and pelted him with snow balls until he was cowering behind a holly bush. I grinned evilly and stood over him my hands on my hips, a look on my face that said 'you're dead...'