C H A P T E R 20

I don't know who you are

Why you're here

But I can feel your need

For a fairytale

So maybe I can help you out

I'll bring you whatever you want

If it helps you survive

C H A P T E R  20

I first met Josh the same day James asked out Emma. The school seemed busier than usual, and Jesse and I were trying to leave those old crowded corridors to get back in time for my second lesson on signing. Sarah had asked around and found someone to teach me. His name was David and he was really friendly and nice. His sister was deaf, and so he knew what he was doing. Jesse and Sarah were also in the lessons because what was the point in me knowing it but no one else?

Any way, we were weaving through the masses of students, trying to get out of the gates where the crowds would thin out a little at least, and also while I tried to spot Sam, Lilly, James, and most of all his new girlfriend Emma, who seemed pretty nice, and I decided I liked her, she didn't seem to talk about me either, which I appreciated.

I lost Jesse in the crowds though, as people managed to separate us. I weaved in and out deciding to get out of school then text them. It was hard but I managed to get through the teen population of the nearby towns and villages. I managed to get outside the gates and walked a little down the hill, as the people started to lessen. Finally I could think. I looked around then decided that the bench round the back of school would be a good place to meet. I moved around the outside, over to the picnic tables just outside of the premises.

Reaching the old tables and benches, I sighed, but didn't sit, leaning on the fence of the school instead. I was just about to text the others when I heard a sound coming from the trees nearby. There was shouting, a string of colorful, extremely homophobic words, and some other, more muffled yelps. I walked over to the trees, through the first few and saw some boys, looks of disgust spread across their features as they kicked and beat what looked like a person, curled up in a ball on the ground. They weren't fighting back, just laying there, letting these boys beat the crap out of them. I guessed they were male, as I hoped to God these horrid boys had at least enough morality not to hit a girl.

The boys saw me then, standing by the trees, my hands bunched into fists. They looked at each other and sniggered.

I glared at them.

'Alright?' said one.

I didn't say anything, just kicked him in his crown jewels, and then punched another one, while the first lay on the ground clutching his man parts. I guess I'd learned something from my so called father.

I shooed them away with my hand.

'I won't hit you 'cause you're a girl...' The one I punched said then the three of them lumbered off into the trees. I glared at their backs, then turned my attention to the boy on the ground. I crouched over him. He opened his eyes and smiled weakly.

'Saved by a girl... Nice... Beaten up by my three so called best friends 'cause I tell 'em I'm gay... And then saved by a girl...' He sat up slowly.

'Thanks, I'm Josh, and you're...' He took a better look at me. 'The mute one... Kat... Right?'

I nodded, and then slid down the trunk of the tree next to him.

'I only came out yesterday and I've already been beaten up twice... I'm so weak...'

I pulled out my board. Not weak. There were three of the guys!

He smiled again. 'Still, saved by a girl...'