C H A P T E R 21

I wonder

Why life seems so cold

These days

Why everything  seems so old

These days

Time to go your separate ways

C H A P T E R 21

'Jesse?' We were on the way back from the cafe. It was only the second time I had spoken aloud to him since the cupboard incident.

'Yes?'

'I was just wondering... why... why you're Dad left...'

His eyes flashed, and for a moment I wished I hadn't asked.

'He left because he was a bastard. Because he didn't care 'bout no one but himself.'

'Oh...'

He sighed. 'Sorry, it's a tough subject, and I haven't really told anyone before... I... I had a brother, once. He was called Michael. And when he was seven, he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia...'

'Oh...' I said again. I didn't know what to say and I didn't quite understand what it had to do with his father. Still, I was interested in his past, very much, so I let him continue.

'It was around five years ago, so I was about twelve, when we found out. Mum was distraught, wouldn't stop crying, barely got any sleep, but at least she tried, she tried to be hopeful, she tried to lighten up the hospital rooms and doctors’ appointments. But Dad, he dealt with it differently. It was like he didn't care anymore. He resigned himself to the fact that Mikey was going to... to die...' his voice broke on the last word. 'So he spent less and less time with him, with all of us... Before Michael was diagnosed, I think we all knew something was going on, that he was cheating on Ma, well, except Michael, he was too young, but even he knew something was up. But the day Mikey died, while Mum and me were sitting crying next to his hospital bed, Dad was in Scotland with his new mistress. His own son, and he... he...'

'Oh...' I said helplessly; what could I do? I was rubbish at comforting people.

'Still, Ma kicked him out pretty quick, and he got himself a place in London... Not quite sure where, and to be honest I don't really care.'

'Oh.'

Josh sat with us the next day at school, and at first it was a little awkward, but Lilly seemed to be oblivious, and we ended up laughing like this was what we did every day. Josh was funny, but shy, and quite quiet. I got the sense that he had a lot of pride, and was worried that we wouldn't like him because he was gay- but to be honest, none of us really cared. I guess it was just who he was- like part of his personality or something. It sounds a little weird but...

We got on fine, the seven of us, and Jesse pushed aside previous grudges- with a little help from me and mine- after Josh apologized.

Luke and Angus made Jokes about us, and Josh, but Lilly punched them enough times it was almost aversion therapy- and they ended up realizing that 'joking about us or Josh basically equals evil punches in the crown jewels.' Luke was hanging out with another guy, Theo, who had been there, that day in the woods, and Josh said that Theo was one of the reason Luke was suddenly being so hostile.

But life was, it seemed, finally looking up, in some ways, more than others.

Daniel started coming to school after Josh and Emma had been sitting with us for a few weeks. The days passed quickly, James' now steady girlfriend Emma, sat with us too. She was really nice, shy, quiet, and it was odd, because the people I hung out with got into trouble so often, and were known throughout school as the bad kids. Emma though, was a straight A student, and had never gotten a detention in her life. still, she got on well with the rest of us, especially Lilly and I. It was odd, her and James being together, and when he wasn't with her he was loud and obnoxious, but when Emma sat with us he was quiet, more sensitive. He heard no end of it from the boys, though as soon as Jesse started to join in they teased him about not barely having got into any trouble since I got here, but that was just a coincidence. And Sam too, he was whipped, though he'd never admit it.