Chapter Eleven

EDITED

Chapter Eleven - I'm Your Friend

•••

After telling me the full story, I could tell that Hunter was more than relieved. He was also very emotional—his voice wavered while telling me what had happened. I could tell he was trying his hardest not to cry out of anger. If anything, it seemed like he had a lot of resentment towards his dad—which I could relate to. I had issues with my own dad, but this wasn't about me. This was about Hunter and his family.

"I feel like I can talk to you." He said quietly.

"You think you can talk to me?" I looked at him, surprised. He was awfully full of surprises tonight; he had a way with words. I had to give him props for that.

"Yeah, I know we just met, but you're more than just a Buddy. I consider you as a friend, like a real friend." He nodded his head. "You're easy to talk to for some reason and you're gonna help me out with Eliza."

"Well, well, well, look who just told the 'troubled girl' they are friends." I chuckled.

Maybe we were friends after all. This was the quickest newfound friendship I had ever been in. I hope I wasn't going to regret becoming his friend later. I was going to befriend him, even though I told myself I wasn't going to be his friend. That showed how much willpower I had, hence the sarcasm. Hunter had his traits that I didn't like, but he didn't seem bad. If anything, I was the one constantly being rude to him.

"You're not troubled. You're many things but troubled isn't one."

"You don't know me."

"I know enough about you."

"Oh yeah?" I raised my eyebrows. "Please enlighten me on what you know about me."

"You're putting up a front, I can tell. I saw the way you looked when you were with Carter and you're just pretending to be all bad. You actually have a heart."

"That's why you were staring at me?"

"Yep. I see you noticed." He chuckled.

I had to stop and think about what he said. Was I pretending and putting up a front? I'd like to think so, and it amazed me how much he could figure that out about me and he barely knew me. I just met the guy this week and he already saw into my soul what other people could not go into depth and see. He was my friend now—which I did not know how to feel about it, but it felt right. It felt right hearing someone—anyone—speak the truth toward me. The truth hurt a bit, but it felt like somebody finally noticed me in all of my glory.

He was correct, but it was not going to change how I would act. I would still be the same troubled, hot tempered girl because that's who I was. All I knew was violence and cruel ways. I didn't grow up in a loving home like he did. He didn't know what I had been through and what else I would go through. Yeah, he was going through a major family issue and I felt sorry for him, but I couldn't relate to his exact situation and vice versa.

"So, I told you about my dad, what's the deal with your family?"

"Um . . ." I gulped a pit of spit down my throat. How could I tell him something without giving away how miserable my life was?

Well, I wouldn't say miserable. That was a tad bit of an exaggeration. It did feel like it very much, though. Hanging out with Hunter today almost, almost, made me forget what happened last night. However, the images of Deonte inappropriately touching me would forever be engraved into my corrupted mind. Then there was my mama—who worked every single day but no changes had been seen. We barely had food in the house and when we did Deonte ate most of it up like he had a tapeworm. My daddy wasn't in my life and the only father figure I had was in jail. I wouldn't say my life was miserable, but it was damn near close. I wasn't happy. I hadn't been happy for a long time. I didn't know what I was. I didn't know whether to feel alone, depressed, lost, or all of them combined. I didn't know how to feel anymore.

"You don't have to tell me now." He sensed the tension on my face.

"I told you I lived with my mama," I started off quietly, fidgeting with my hands, "her boyfriend Deonte stays with us too. My daddy and mama stopped dating a long time ago."

I told him enough; I wasn't giving him full descriptive details, but the minor ones would do.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did they, like, get divorced when you were little? That happened to a lot of my friends."

"No, they neva got married." I chuckled, shaking my head slightly.

"Oh, well then. We're on the main road, where do I go from here?"

"Keep straight and turn right on Orchard Street."

As soon as he turned on Orchard Street, I realized two things. If he claimed he was my friend, then he would not care about where I lived. Another thing that was obvious to anyone with two eyes and a functioning brain was that Hunter Worthington was one of the coolest people around. Maybe I was in the wrong for assuming the worst about him. After all, he was my friend.

•••

Sorry for taking so long to update. I've been busy with sports and maintaining good grades, but don't worry, I'll always try to update this story for my amazing fans who always comment and vote.

I love all of your comments. Thank you for voting and commenting.

Also, I read this from the beginning and I have to edit and revise a lot of things, but I won't do that until the book is completely finished.