Alternate Ending #4

Alternate Ending #4

Hunter's Point Of View

Eliza was throwing me a birthday party at my house, but she didn't know that I was skipping out on it. It was my day to shine and I didn't want to spend it with people who could care less about me. They would only show up to brag about being at my party or being in the same place as the popular kids. I barely knew anybody and they barely knew me, except for Nick, Eliza, and Aniya.

Aniya.

She seemed to have crossed my mind on more than one occasion and I couldn't get her out of my head. At first I thought it was the excitement of a new friendship, but I realized she was much more than that. I wanted her to be more than just a friend to me because I'd grown very fond of her in the short time that I was partnered up with her.

I guess it was always something about her and I didn't notice it until I got a girlfriend—until I realized what I really wanted. Out of all this time I'd spent chasing Eliza, I should have spent it chasing Aniya because I wanted her. She was right where I was wrong and vice versa. She made me laugh and I actually meant it. She ignited a spark in me that was fused out for so long and I didn't even know it.

And now I was stuck in a sticky situation.

I realized I had feelings for Aniya about the same time we stopped talking to each other. Those days I spent waking up and going to sleep with her on my mind. I couldn't get her out of my head: her face, her sarcasm, her personality. Just the thought of being around her was enough, but not enough.

I knew I was screwed because I always said I wouldn't be one of those guys who had feelings for another girl while they were in a relationship, but I was totally one of those guys and I didn't know how to accept it. I constantly battled everyday whether I should break up with Eliza and confess my feelings for Aniya, or if I should keep going with the flow. Obviously, I kept going with the flow because I was still dating Eliza.

She was a very pretty girl and all, but maybe that's all she had going for her. I had seen the way other guys looked at her and it was of pure lust, but she seemed to enjoy it, even if her gladness was subtle. She encouraged it, too, because she started dressing differently and she just wasn't the girl I liked for so long. She was a completely different Eliza now and she only made me want Aniya even more.

It took me a while to figure that out, but I wasn't oblivious anymore. I wanted Aniya and I could only hope that she wanted me, too.

I guess it really hurt me when we went so long without talking. If anything, that time spent without seeing her was a wake up call for me. My mom always told me to go for what I wanted in life. Well, that's exactly what I was going to do.

I sent a text to Aniya ten minutes ago, saying that she didn't need to go to my party, if she planned on attending it. I told her that I would be at the park waiting on her because I had something very important to tell her. No doubt, she wouldn't text me back, but I had this feeling that she would come and meet me at the park. She would want it to be a mystery, making me wonder if she was going to show at all.

I was taking a huge risk, that I knew, but I couldn't continue my relationship with Eliza and think about what if. I would constantly think about being with Aniya and that wasn't right. If I was going to think about Aniya, I was going to confess my feelings to her first. Then, I was going to tell her that I was going to break off things with Eliza. In the end, in a perfect life, we'd end up dating and everything would be fine.

Aniya was a stubborn girl and she had these walls built up so high that no one could climb them, but somehow, I did. I saw her true personality; she was not all tough like people cracked her out to be. She was a human with emotions and feelings that she held in for far too long. I was just glad that she felt like I was special enough to share personal things with me. No, I didn't know how she was going to take this, but I was going to do it anyway because I couldn't stop thinking about her.

After sending the text, I waited and waited for her to come meet me where I sat at one of the tables at the park. There was no sign of her.

Thirty minutes had passed and I was about to give up all hope and go to my house to 'enjoy' my eighteenth birthday party.

"This is definitely not how I imagined spending my birthday." I scoffed to myself as I stood up. "All alone and unhappy."

"Who says you're alone?" An all too familiar voice said from behind me.

I swiftly turned around and my eyes nearly budged out of my head when I saw Aniya standing there. She was absolutely beautiful; her hair was very curly and I had never seen it like that before. It made her even more attractive, in my opinion.

"Aniya." I smiled.

"White Boy." She nodded her head at me. "So, you wanna tell me why I'm out here in the cold and not at your birthday party?"

"I'm so sorry," I immediately apologized and started to take off my jacket, "here, you can have my jacket, if you want."

"Hunter," she held her hand up, "keep the jacket. You said you had something important to tell me."

"I do." I licked my dry lips and nodded my head.

"Okay." She sat down on the top of the table I was sitting at. I watched her as she rubbed her glove covered hands together to create more warmth for herself. I rolled my eyes because she was stubborn and wouldn't admit that she was cold, so I took off my jacket anyway and placed it around her shoulders.

She was about to comment on my actions, but I held a finger to her lips and she furrowed her eyebrows while she gave me this strange look.

"I'm gonna start talking now." I took a deep breath and sat down beside her, after I pulled my finger away.

"So, I'm skipping my party right now because I had something really important I wanted to tell you. I know I don't deserve you even coming here because we haven't talked in a while, but to be completely honest I think we both know why we don't talk anymore. And for that same reason, I realized that I don't like Eliza. I like you, like really, really, like you." I was afraid to look in her eyes, but I did anyway.

I was glad I looked into her eyes because they said something she would never say out loud. She didn't have to admit it, but I knew she liked me, too. She had to have liked me, or else she wouldn't have avoided me after I told her that I was dating Eliza.

"You're dating Eliza, though." She shook her head. "You cain't say somethin' like that to me, when you still going out with her. It don't work like that."

"I knew you were going to say that." I nodded my head. "Which is why I'm gonna break up with her."

"You're gonna break up with her?" She furrowed her eyebrows. "I feel so bad."

"Don't feel bad. The heart wants what it wants and I want you." I grabbed one of her hands. I didn't interlace our fingers because that would be too much, but holding her close was just enough for me. "Do you want me, too?"

"Of course I want you, but—"

"—then, that's all that matters." I sweetly smiled at her.

•••

so this is the last one. it's more short and fluffy than any of the other ones, but I hope you still enjoyed it.