Chapter Fifteen

EDITED

Chapter Fifteen - Going to Your House Again

"Why are you being so stubborn?" Hunter asked, stomping his foot on the ground.

"I'm not bein' stubborn." I crossed my hands over my chest, averting my gaze to the evening sky.

"You kinda are."

"And you're kinda bein' immature, so who's losing here?"

"Look, I don't know what I did, but I'm trying to fix it." He groaned frustratingly. "So just get in the car and we can go to my house to talk things out. Stop being so fucking stubborn!"

"I don't wanna go to your house." I shook my head.

"Oh, but you are," he said lowly.

My eyes widened as I saw him reach forward towards me. I squealed as he hoisted me up by the hips and then placed me over his shoulder. My backpack dropped out of my hand and onto the dirty ground.

"Put me down." I huffed, punching his back with all my power.

"I play varsity in two sports. Do you really think your punches are hurting me? You're funny." He chuckled.

Somehow, he picked up my bag off the floor and threw it into the backseat with me still on his shoulder. I had to be somewhat heavy to him, but if I was he wasn't showing any signs of struggle.

"Let me down, Hunter." I kicked my feet in the air, hoping I'd hit him in the face.

He ignored me and managed to open the passenger door and placed my body inside. I sat quietly as he strapped me in the seatbelt. I figured it was no used to fighting against him anymore.

"See, that didn't take much." Hunter's body hovered over mine in the seat—well at least his upper body was.

He turned his head and if I moved any closer, my lips would touch his. I was frozen in time as I stared at him and he stared at me. I bet I looked like a dear caught staring at headlights.

My body started to shake.

Being this close to him was too much of a reminder of when Deonte put his hands all over my body. I'd never had a man's hands on my body like that before and I guess it was overwhelming. I had never been close to a guy before. Although he did pick me up and put me over his shoulder, this was much more terrifying. His face was slow close to mine. I knew he was a good guy and probably had good intentions; it was just that I was scared because the last guy this close to me molested me.

Hunter kept staring at me—or more like through me. I was afraid that my eyes would give away all my emotions. I feared that he would realize there was something else wrong with me, other than what we were currently going to his house to resolve. If he asked me questions—more about my life—I would not know how to respond to them. Or even worse, I would break down and let it all out. I knew I was a ticking time bomb, with angry filled tears waiting to explode.

"Are you okay?" It was barely above a whisper, but in my mind it felt like he was screaming the words at me—piercing my ears.

I cowardly leaned into the passenger seat more, as he spoke to me softly. I felt vulnerable for a reason that I didn't know why. It all seemed surreal. Now that somebody could see through me, I didn't know how to feel about it. I was confused and angry and upset and I just wanted all of these emotions to go away. I wanted them to lock themselves deep away and lose the key so they wouldn't be opened again.

"Yeah." I said lowly, not meeting his gaze.

"You're shaking." He stated, nodding his head towards my hand that was practically trembling.

"I'm cold." I lied.

"It's not even that chilly outside." He narrowed his green eyes at me.

"White people don't get cold, but black people do." I sarcastically said.

And then I was back to my old self.

The girl who hid her feelings and covered them up with snarky and sarcastic remarks. I saw that he realized that too when he sighed and removed himself away from me. He closed the passenger door and entered through the driver's side.

I exhaled a sigh of relief, a breath that I hadn't realized I was holding until now.

"I honestly don't know what I did." Hunter said after we'd been sitting in the car in silence.

I looked at him, nodding my head. "Sure."

"Can you at least try to be cordial?"

"I'm sorry if I'm not in a happy mood." I glared at him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Why do you always argue or get mad with me?" He frowned. "I thought we were friends."

Believe me, I wanted to say: I thought we were too. However, I settled for, "Friends fight sometimes."

"I can't wait to find out what I did." He raised his eyebrows. "I bet you're just over-exaggerating like you always do."

"I will hop out this car and we won't talk about nothin'." I raised my voice, clearly hurt by his words.

"Then do it!" He slammed his hand on the steering wheel, turning his body to face mine. "Nothing's stopping you! So go!"

"I will." I narrowed my eyes at him. However, my body seemed to have a mind of its own and it didn't budge.

"I don't see you moving."

"My bag is in the backseat." That was such a lame excuse for a comeback.

"Then go get it, if you want to get out the car so damn bad." His gaze held me captive. I couldn't look away from the dark orbs of green.

I had never seen him like this before. It was kind of . . . attractive. Did I just even remotely think of Hunter as being attractive? I couldn't believe it.

I didn't say a word. I couldn't say a word. What the hell was wrong with me?

"Just go." I quietly said, pointing towards the road that was in the direction of where he lived.

He didn't say anything as he pulled off and we didn't say anything the whole ride. In fact, the whole car ride was filled with silence; he didn't even turn the radio on. It was awkward, tensed, and . . . I couldn't quite find the word that described our situation. It was something else, that was for sure.

•••

So how was this update?

I think this is my favorite chapter so far!!!