Chapter Thirty-Three

EDITED

Chapter Thirty-Three - Walk The Moon and Pouty Faces

•••

As soon as I saw Hunter's name pop up on my phone screen, I was hesitant to answer it. I thought it was a good idea to avoid him at all costs until I could go to school and ask for another Buddy. However, my heart—which was now full of feelings for White Boy—was telling me to answer the phone. My head was in the right place, but I had a hard time following it because I stupidly answered my phone. I did not care that it was almost twelve o'clock in the morning.

"Hello," I spoke through the phone.

"Hey, Nicole."

"Can I ask you why you're callin' when it's almost twelve o'clock in the mornin'?"

I said I didn't care, which I didn't, but I wasn't going to let him figure that out. I had to give him a hard time like I used to, if I wanted to get rid of these feelings.

Feelings just don't go away, Aniya, I thought to myself. It sounded ridiculous trying to get rid of newfound feelings, that I knew, but it was the only thing I had in mind.

"My bad, I didn't even realize it was this late. I just got home a few hours ago and I just . . ."

"You just what?" I furrowed my eyebrows, staring at my wall.

"I don't know, I just felt like talking."

My heart nearly skipped a beat.

"You just felt like talkin'?" I repeated what he said.

"I, uh, wanted to tell you about the date and how it went, but I think I'll just tell you tomorrow."

"Oh um, okay." I nodded my head, though he couldn't see me. "How do you know I wanna see you tomorrow?

There you go again. Hiding your feelings with jokes.

"Hahaha very funny. You know you wanna see me. Call me chocolate delight—white chocolate that is."

"White Boy, what in the world?" I laughed into the phone, showcasing a broad smile when I was done. "You are weird as hell."

"Don't pretend like you don't like my weirdness."

"I don't."

"That's what you say, but we both know the truth."

"Here you go again with the deep stuff." I rolled my eyes.

My mama was at work, so I could be a little loud. I didn't like talking much on the phone with anyone while she was here because she was always taking naps before work. I didn't want to be disrespectful. So, it was a good thing she was gone right now. All the smiling was evident; I did not want to stop talking to Hunter, at least not now.

"What's wrong with being deep sometimes? My friends say girls dig that stuff. Just look at Drake!"

"Don't bring Drake into this." I chuckled. "But is that all you wanted?"