Chapter Twenty-Three

EDITED

Chapter Twenty-Three - Surprise, Surprise Again

•••

After we ate and had plenty of small talk, it was time to discuss the real issue here.

"So, are you gonna talk about what happened or what?" I pushed myself further into the couch to get comfortable, resting my feet underneath my thighs.

"You waste no time in getting to the point." He chuckled, repositioning himself on the couch.

He rested his back on the arm of the couch and he stretched his legs out so that his feet almost touched me. He sure knew how to make himself comfortable in a house that wasn't his. He had a way of owning any space he was in, but not in a conceited way.

"Boy, move your legs. I don't want your feet touchin' me." I scrunched my nose up in disgust and he just laughed.

"I'm not even touching you."

"Yeah, but close enough."

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes, "I'm gonna tell you what happened after you left."

My eyes instantly shot up to his face and I wasn't kidding around anymore. I really wanted to know what happened. Thank God that Eliza was okay. Maybe she wasn't okay mentally and emotionally, but physically she would be just fine. She would need someone to talk to. I wondered if she had told anyone close to her or if me, Hunter, and that lowlife guy were still the only ones who knew.

"So I made sure the guy left, he didn't cause a scene and left. Eliza was crying and I didn't know what to do so I just held her in my arms. And it felt right, like she belonged there. I think I really might like her, Aniya." Hunter had this look in his eyes that I had never seen before. "She seemed so broken and it was the saddest thing to see. So, I ended the party for her and helped her clean up. She thanked me and went to bed, but I got her number and if everything goes well I might ask her out on a date soon."

"That's great, Hunter." I nodded my head. "You're a good person. Though, I never thought I'd give you a compliment 'cause I don't like you."

Eliza and Hunter would make a cute couple. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that she wouldn't go out with him if he asked her. After all, he was her knight in shining armor; he was the one who helped her for real. I wondered what their kids would look like; they'd probably be tall and athletic and very pretty. Wait—why was I thinking about what their future offspring would look like? I shook the thought out of my head and waited for Hunter to reply.

"You don't like me, yet you still didn't kick me out of your house and we're still friends." He narrowed his eyes at me and playfully shoved my shoulder.

"Don't catch these hands." I was just kidding, but the tone of my voice said otherwise.

"I'm so scared!" He said sarcastically.

"You think I'm playin'."

"I know you're playing."

"Alright, then." I pursed my lips together and nodded my head slowly.

His eyes widened when I came forward and punched his arm.

"Oh you wanna play, huh?" He mused and raised his eyebrows.

He caught me by surprise when he grabbed my waist and threw me down on the couch like I was a little kid. His knees were on either side of my body, as he straddled my waist, tickling my sides.

"Stop it!" I instantly giggled, kicking my legs in the air behind him. I even tried kneeing him in the back, but he still wouldn't stop tickling me.

"Say you're sorry." He whispered.

"No."

"No?"

"No, I ain't do nothing." I shook my head.

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say because he only tickled me harder.

"Hunter, get off of me! Fat ass!" I tried to push him but I couldn't stop laughing.

"All you gotta do is say you're, sorry, yeah!" He started singing Justin Bieber's song when he said sorry.

"Hunter, shut up. You can't sing." I said in between laughing fits.

"I got vocals of the year. What are you talking about?" He rolled his eyes at me.

I had only seen the playful side of Hunter with his little brother. He never really played around with me, unless he was trying to be funny or when he was being sarcastic. Other than that, he was always serious, but in a good way I guess. He was one of those people who always tried to see the good in the world. He always thought it was a positive solution to things that seemed almost impossible to fix. He only saw the good in people. How could a person be so selfless? He was a great guy, I was glad he was my friend. Good guys like him didn't come around too often.

"Hey Hunter?" I asked and he stopped tickling me for a second.

He was still straddling my waist, but his hands rested on his thighs now. His forest green eyes stared at me. "Yeah?"

"Where are you gonna take Eliza?" I asked quietly. "I mean, what would be a good ideal first date?"

"To be honest I haven't thought about that yet." He shrugged his shoulders, causing his wavy brunette hair to move ever so lightly.

"Dude, how you gone ask her out and not even know where to take her," I shook my head, "you slackin'."

"I don't know, I really like her. I wanna be the perfect guy for her. I don't really know what she likes. I guess I gotta get to know her a little more. Then, I'll ask her out. I also don't want her to think I pity her because she almost got raped. And I want her to think of me as Hunter, not the guy who saved her from being raped."

"Damn White Boy, who knew you could get all in your fee-fees like that." I joked but he kept a solemn face.

"I'm serious." He said. He got off of me and sat down on the couch. I scooted my body up so that I was sitting upwards and right next to him.

"Dude," I rested a hand on his broad shoulder, "she'll like you for you. Stop worrying about it, she's lucky to have a guy like you."

"She doesn't have me yet."

"Key word: yet. Trust me, White Boy, she'll fall for you." I sweetly smiled at him.

He was about to reply but the door handle jangled.

My mama and Deonte couldn't have picked a more worse time to come.

•••

I have finals coming up so I won't be updating until they're over because I have to study. Grades come first guys! I wish you all good luck on your final exams. But trust me, I will update as much as I can when I have free time.

*insert smirk face emoji here* I gave you all some playful banter between Aniya and Hunter.

Thank you for reading my story, I appreciate you all very much.