Chapter Twenty-Nine

EDITED

Chapter Twenty-Nine - Let's Go

•••

Hunter was the weirdest person I had ever met. I was at our usual table in the library waiting on him. It wasn't normal for him to be so late, and I wondered what was taking him so long. He was always in here before me and I always came about five minutes after the last bell rang. It was not like I was complaining because I hated this club, but I was just curious of his whereabouts. I could've been doing other things if he wasn't going to show. If he didn't show, that meant I got to leave, right? I wasn't going to push my luck. Mr. Todd would call me in his office the moment he found out I left, so I was just going to stay here and wait.

Another five minutes passed by and I couldn't believe myself when I pulled out my math homework. I might as well have gotten it done—or at least attempt to get it done—because I wouldn't want to do it at home. I was getting so tired of learning math that did not relate to the real world at all. They needed to teach us banking, loaning, and stuff that was actually vital for real life situations. I shook my head and slammed my pencil on the table, but not too hard because I didn't want the librarian glaring at me.

I rested my head on my hand and propped my elbow on the table. I eyed the other Buddy partners. They seemed like they were enjoying this time away from their problems. They were all laughing and smiling. If this was the beginning and I were to walk in here, I would see sad faces that felt like they couldn't talk to anyone about their problems. It was different now. I could say that for myself, as well. I noticed I wasn't always mad at the world when I was with Hunter; I was strangely carefree. Somehow—I didn't know how he did it—he was a part of my life now. He was one of those people I could say I was close to. The corners of my mouth turned upward; he was my friend.

If Mr. Todd asked me about this club, I'd say that I learned to leave my options open. I made a new friend and we couldn't be anymore different than each other. It was strange and so unlike me to befriend someone that was the complete opposite of me. White Boy was alright, though. He picked up where I lacked and vice versa.

"Sorry, I'm late."

I was shaken out of my thoughts as Hunter scooted the chair back that was across from me—his usual spot—and sat down. His face was flushed, like he'd been running a marathon before he got here.

"It's cool." I shrugged my shoulders.

"I was walking Eliza to her car. I promised I would this morning."

"Oh, is that why you're blushin'?" I teased him.

"No, shut up." He shook his head, chuckling. He pulled some work out of his backpack.

"I don't even know why I bothered to get this out," I gestured to my math homework, "I never get it done anyway."

"That's because you never try."

"I do try. I guess just not hard enough."

"I should try hard enough too." His eyes stared at his fingers that he was mindlessly playing with.

"What are you talkin' about? You got like all A's in every class. You make no sense." I looked at him crazily.

He didn't answer me; he stayed staring at his hands. He fidgeted with his fingers and he looked like he was deep in thought.