Chapter 9: Trust

Leonardo waits near the turnstiles at the front of the lair, listening as his brothers ready themselves for patrol. Destiny sits on the bench in the living room, trying to relax as she taps her knee and keeps her lips pursed. Her foot is propped up on a pillow.

Donatello moves to her side and hands her a hardcover novel, murmuring a few words. She smiles and nods in thanks, delving into the book as soon as the purple-masked turtle walks away. Near them, Michelangelo bounces around in excitement while making sure his belt is well-stocked with the needed smoke bombs, shuriken, and other items.

"Alright, so what's our main goal tonight?" Raphael asks as he wanders over to his leader.

"Murakami," Leonardo answers immediately. "We need a second opinion about..."

He looks over at Destiny. To the unobservant eye, she looks completely absorbed in the novel that Donatello gave her. Look further and one will notice that her black wolf ears are perked in their direction, listening in on every word. Leonardo looks back at Raphael, jerking his head in the newcomer's direction.

"Right, because she's on top of our priority list," the red-masked turtle says.

"We saved her. That was our decision. Now, the least we can do is offer our help," Leonardo whispers, his voice low and every word enunciated. "Besides...the Foot attacked her. We need to figure out why and protect her."

"She's just some mutant living on the street. Why would Shredder bother with her?"

The slightly older turtle furrows his eye-ridges. "I...I don't know."

Raphael sighs, jaw clenching. "Perfect. Have I mentioned how much I love loose ends?"

Leonardo decides to ignore his hotheaded brother and look to Donatello and Michelangelo. "Guys! The night isn't gonna last forever! Come on!" The two remaining turtles scramble over to the other half of their team. Leonardo rolls his shoulders and twists his neck as he loosens himself up. "We're gonna scout the area, but Murakami is our priority. We have a few...things to work out," he says, his voice collected and confident.

"Could we get some gyoza while we're there? Please?" Michelangelo begs, dragging out the "please" as he clasps his hands together in front of his plastron.

"Sure," Leonardo answers shortly. "Let's go."

Destiny's wild green eyes flicker from the page to the turtles as they exit the lair. Leonardo looks back at her, their eyes locking for a moment. She looks away and flips a page, her expression neutral. The leader in blue lets out a sigh as he turns and follows his brothers out into the tunnels.

----------

The turtles slow to a stop as they reach the edge of the building nearest to Murakami's. They scope out the area for late night stragglers, and seeing none, drop down to the street and move to the brightly lit eating establishment.

"Murakami-san?" Leonardo calls as he pushes the door open.

A little bell tinkles softly, announcing their arrival. Murakami looks up from the counter and smiles.

"Turtles-san! It is nice to hear you!" he says. "What brings you here? Hunger?"

"Questions that need answers," Leonardo responds.

"And hunger! Food is good!" Michelangelo cuts in.

Raphael moves to the bar and sits down on one of the stools, his elbows resting on the tabletop. "We've got a guest in the lair," he comments.

"A female guest, but we need to know if she's trustworthy," Donatello adds as he sits next to his red-clad brother.

Murakami chuckles. "Is it Destiny-chan that you speak of?"