Chapter 31: Leonardo's Apology

The ShellRaiser squeals to a stop outside the lair. Leonardo wastes no time in getting out of the driver's seat and taking Destiny from Donatello's hold, turning and striding from the vehicle without a second glance. Everyone else piles out and follows after him, heading off in different directions as soon as they can; Donatello to get first aid supplies, Casey and Michelangelo for pillows and blankets, April sticking with Leonardo, Raphael racing at full speed towards the dojo.

The red-masked turtle nearly trips into the previously peaceful place, where Splinter is seated beneath the tree in a meditative trance.

"Sensei, sorry to barge in, but you need to get out here," he says.

"Raphael, you have returned," Splinter states as his eyes snap open. He turns and looks over at his son, instantly noticing his shaken disposition. "What has happened?" he asks, getting to his feet as his large ears twitch.

"It's bad, Sensei. Shredder..." Raphael grits his teeth and looks at the floor, hands clenching into fists. "We couldn't..."

Splinter rests a hand on the turtle's shoulder, squeezing it gently. "Let us go," he murmurs.

They leave the dojo, where Raphael makes a beeline for the living room bench. Destiny is now laying on an old blanket, a pillow propping her head up, a blanket draped over her shivering body. April sits on the bench adjacent to that, an ice pack held on her head. Michelangelo and Casey stand on the level above Destiny's spot while Leonardo and Donatello kneel next to the injured girl.

Leonardo looks up at Splinter as soon as the rat is near. "Sensei..."

"I know, Leonardo," he responds.

"Donnie, what did they do to her?" Raphael demands, sitting down next to April and gripping the edge of the seat.

Donatello sets his first aid kit near him, remaining utterly silent and focused as he checks Destiny's vitals. He lifts one eyelid, shining a light on it and watching the pupil dilate. Letting out a soft breath and placing his fingers against her neck, he looks down at his t-phone as he counts the number of beats. He winces and runs a hand over his head, tapping his fingers against the top of his cranium.

"Donnie..." Leonardo says, shifting in place.

"Well...here's the thing," he mumbles, grave. His hand brushes over her tail, the singed fur coming to his attention. "Her injuries are extensive but none are fatal."

"So she'll live?" Casey clarifies.

Donatello nods, but his face doesn't get any happier. "I'd say they used electrocution mostly, judging by her being damp and the burns on her skin, and then...of course..." He brushes her hair from her eyes, giving view to the gashes leaving bloody tears along her face plus various bruises on her eyebrow ridge and jaw. "There was some, uh...s-slicing and beating involved," he finishes, coughing once before turning his hand so that the back is against her forehead. His eyes widen. "Oh shell, I forgot..." He purses his lips and turns to April. "April?"

She perks up. "Yeah?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if she has mild hypothermia. She needs to get out of her wet clothes," he says, turning slightly pink. "Would you...uh..."

"Oh, yeah! I can do that," April says. "Look away, guys."

Every male presence in the room obediently covers their eyes, waiting for the redhead to give them the signal. After a few minutes, she clears her throat.