Chapter 50: Cured

Destiny's t-phone goes off, the music jolting her from her slumber. She makes a few low groans as she fumbles for the device, rolling onto her back as she switches it on. She instantly regrets the decision as the bright screen nearly blinds her, forcing her to cover her eyes.

She blinks, slowly getting used to the glare until she can see clearly. She opens up the messages, where there's quite a few new ones from Casey. She squints in confusion and sits up.

C: Wolfie, dude, Tiger Claw is back and he's ANGRY. Things are getting wild over here.

Destiny exhales, pinching the bridge of her nose.

D: Thanks for the update, Case. Who's Tiger Claw?

The response comes suprisingly fast.

C: Oh right, you never met him. He's Emery's big bro, this giant man-eating tiger mutant. He's wicked awesome.

She chooses not to respond, unsure of why he's so pumped up about something like this and why he'd be texting her at seven in the morning. It's still dark outside for her and far too early for her to want to be awake. She flops back onto the bed, her arm drooping to the side and dangling off the edge of the bed.

The phone beeps. She reads the message.

C: And...one more thing, the guys told me that the Kraang are getting crazier. Maybe you want to know that, but idk.

Destiny frowns, a sick feeling building in her gut. She hovers the phone above her head as she types.

D: How bad is it?

C: Dunno, but it feels like there's something coming...Casey Jones has skills like that.

D: Lmao, sure you do.

The message delivers but doesn't get read. She sets the phone back down, taking in a deep breath as she stares up at the ceiling. She feels almost at peace and that something is different, but she can't put her finger on it. She thinks back to the night she just had and the day beforehand.

Melanie came over and they had one of their sessions, Diaval broke a plate, they decided to go to bed earlier than usual, her nightmares didn't have Shredder in them—

She stops as a gasp leaves her. She bolts out of bed and bounds over to Diaval, grasping his shoulder and shaking him. He wakes up, making a disoriented noise as she releases him.

"Diaval, holy shell, I need you to check something," she rambles.

"Huh?"

"I didn't dream about Shredder," she says. "My nightmares...well, I still had them but Shredder wasn't there."

His pink eyes widen and he sits up, rubbing at his face. "You didn't?"

"Not at all!"

He ponders that for a second before shutting his eyes. He takes slow breaths, pressing his palms together as his brow wrinkles. His eyelids snap open, the wrinkles disappear. "It's...gone."

Her tail starts to wag. "Like the serum? The serum is gone?"

He nods, resting one hand on his head. "Can't latch onto Shredder anymore..." He looks up at her. "Don't feel it on you either."

She lets out a noise halfway between a shriek and a bark and nearly tackles him in a hug. He stiffens as she laughs, tears welling in her eyes.

"Thank you, Diaval, thank you so much," she says, releasing him as she pulls back, settling on the edge of his bed. "I couldn't have done it without you, really. Thank you."