Chapter 24: Freedom Lost

Destiny doesn't take her eyes off the building behind her. The shadows have eyes, every glint of passing light is a lurking enemy. She swallows, running a hand over her arm in an attempt to calm the goosebumps that have risen there.

The rest of the night goes smoothly for the mutant team. They don't run into anything that tries to kill them, which the turtles insist is a plus although Destiny disagrees; she wanted to use her new weapon. Leonardo remains unnecessarily anxious, constantly keeping a lookout and generally being as much fun as a stubbed toe.

Destiny removes her uchigatana and belt from her jeans as they enter the lair.

Splinter greets them as he usually does. "You have returned," he states, watching his sons flop into various seats around the living room. All except Leonardo, that is.

Destiny hands off her weapon, although the longing in her eyes isn't something Splinter misses.

"Yo, where'd the remote go?" Michelangelo asks, searching for the device on his hands and knees.

Donatello picks the remote up from the spot next to him and chucks it to his younger brother. The orange-masked turtle lets out a happy squeal and gives the remote a kiss before plopping down in front of the TV.

"We've got a problem, Sensei," Leonardo mentions, instantly causing Raphael to roll his eyes and exhale heavily from his nose. "Destiny didn't just get attacked weeks ago, Karai tried to recruit her to the Foot Clan."

Splinter's wise gaze switches to Destiny. She crosses her arms over her chest, her lips pushing outwards as her frown deepens.

"Oh, and when she refused, Diaval tried to manipulate her," the turtle continues, sweeping his arm out to her.

"Diaval...the Foot Clan archer?" Splinter questions. "Did you boys not tell me that he has never gone far from Foot Headquarters without Shredder?"

"Maybe the tin can loosened his leash," Raphael says, throwing his two cents in. "But yeah, Sensei, turns out the guy is some kind of wizard."

"A wizard who is only now using his abilities, and he's using them to get to Des," Leonardo says, effectively diverting the conversation back on track. "Karai said that Destiny is perfect for Shredder's next plan."

Splinter eyes the silent wolf girl. She doesn't budge, her jaw clenched, her hair windswept and messy, and her eyes stark with the look of a wild animal. The rat lowers his head and sighs.

"Destiny, is this true?" he asks.

She lowers her head, her black-streaked bangs falling over one eye. "Yes."

"Then it may be best for you to stay down here," Splinter advises, lifting a hand to his thin beard. "I will give you more training while my sons investigate this matter."

Something snaps in her. "What?! Sensei, I can't stay down here again! I'll go crazy!" she exclaims, throwing her hands out to the sides and shaking them. "I literally just got my freedom back!"

"I know I'm going to sound like a broken record," Donatello starts, swivelling around to look back at her, "but we want you to be safe."

"Do you have any idea what Shredder could do if he gets his filthy hands on you?" Raphael asks, cracking his knuckles and shooting the floor a wrathful glare overflowing with disgust.

"Sensei told me about the whole backstory," she says, a note of exhaustion invading her tone. "But safe shmafe, I don't give a crap anymore. I just want to get back to the way things were."