Chapter Twenty Nine

"Do you have something you have to do?" Harry asked, sipping his tea as he watched Louis pull out his phone to check the time for the sixth time that night. Not that he was counting. 

"Um, no, not really," Louis mumbled, putting his phone away. "Sorry, love. Just have some... just like, packing up I need to do before tomorrow." 

"Of course," Harry smiled, his fondness for his boyfriend denting dimples into his cheeks. "You would leave that to the last minute." 

"I know, I know," Louis mumbled, smiling as he finished his cup of coffee. "It probably won't take too long to pack though... I mean, it's only three weeks anyway." He relaxed back into the red faux-leather booth and set down his white coffee cup on the table. 

Harry looked over at Louis from across the mahogany stained table. The older boy had brought him out to a candlelit restaurant by the water, ordered a beautiful three course meal, and insisted on paying for everything, leaving Harry blushing and stumbling through his wallet for his debit card because it's too much, Lou, let me help. Louis had pushed his hand aside gently and swiped through his Visa without a thought, just with a quick, I've got it, babe, that made Harry feel like his insides had melted. 

Louis was dressed up a little tonight, and when Louis wore a blazer- even though he was just wearing it over a band t-shirt and fitted jeans- it made Harry feel like absolute putty... like he could just be perfectly content to be lead around by his older boyfriend, like nothing else in the world mattered. There was just some part of Harry that always kept coming back to the feeling of being taken care of. As much as he tried to hide from it, tried to be independent, there were times when he just wanted it so fucking bad. And all at once, the thought of Louis not being there for three weeks was just a little much. 

"Three weeks is a..." he trailed off and took a steady breath. "Is a long time," he finished. "It's a long time," he said again, squeezing his eyes shut tightly for a moment while he tried to process it.

"Aww, Haz... sweetie, shhhh it's not that long... oh no," Louis cooed, opening his arms out for Harry to come and cuddle in the booth. "Don't cry, love."

"Mm not crying," Harry said, pouting with a huff, but he crawled over into the booth next to Louis anyway, letting himself curl up into his warmth.

"I'm sorry, did I trigger any sort of anxiety?" Louis asked, kissing Harry's cheeks softly. 

"No, Lou, it's not a panic thing... I'm sorry," Harry said, laughing a little. "I'm not gonna cry over it, I'm just gonna miss you so much."

"You won't miss me too bad though, it'll be good to relax and see your mom and Gemma and get all the stress from exams finally gone, eh?" Louis said, kissing Harry's forehead as he nuzzled against Louis' shoulder.

"Shit, yeah I'm sorry, just-" Harry took a deep breath and sighed. "I'm still just a mess, and three weeks seems like forever," he laughed a little apologetically.

"Well you're my mess and I fucking love you alright?" Louis said.

"Love you too," Harry said quietly, and before Louis had time to reply, Harry's lips were on Louis', warm and insistent. "I don't want you to go," he whispered, sucking a quick lovebite onto Louis' collarbone before anyone in the restaurant could notice. 

"It's Christmas break, Haz... I don't really have a choice." Louis' eyes scanned the room a little bit, hoping no one would notice his boyfriend was practically on his lap at this point. Maybe Harry and Louis weren't the best when it came to personal space. 

"You could ditch your family and just stay in my bedroom with me. For three weeks," Harry said, giggling a little as he trailed his fingers across Louis' arm. "We could just lock ourselves in there... have a really good Christmas break..." Harry winked, still laughing as he teased his boyfriend. 

"Stop it," Louis grumbled, pushing Harry away a little. " You left a mark on me, didn't you? I can't show up to all the family reunions looking all marked up like this."

"Then everyone will know you're mine," Harry said quietly, biting his lip a little, sucking on his lip piercing. "I just don't want you to leave," he whispered.

"Why don't we see if one of us can visit the other over the break?" Louis said, trailing his hands along Harry's arms, always a little in awe of Harry's smooth skin and hard muscles. "I mean, we've got to be only maybe two hours away from each other right? Doncaster and Cheshire? Shit, I'm pretty bad at directions. Not as bad as you though," he added, tickling Harry's love handles until he giggled.

"You can visit me?" Harry suggested. "Just, because you have- wait, how many siblings?"

"A lot," Louis smiled. "Big family." He moved to tuck one of Harry's curls behind his ear. It was just barely long enough now that he was finally able to.

"Yeah, it might just be a little easier to..." Harry started, trailing off.

"I know, babe," Louis said, running his thumb gently across Harry's jawline. "It's too many people to meet all at once, and you'd be somewhere new, I understand," he kissed Harry softly on the cheek. "I could come over to your place though, and you'd be nice and comfortable there, nothing to be worried about and we could cuddle up together and watch holiday movies and bake cookies together, and I'd get to know your mom and your sister. How does that sound?"

Harry nodded. "Really good. That sounds amazing." 

"Yeah," Louis smiled, his eyes crinkling around the edges. "Are you done your tea, babe? I should probably head back to the dorms and pack." 

"I can help you," Harry offered brightly. 

"No thanks, it shouldn't take too long, besides, I have to meet Liam first. That bastard stole some of my things, I need to get them back before the holidays." 

"Okay," Harry smiled. "I guess I'll see you over the break then?" 

"I'll text you every day," Louis said, kissing Harry on the nose. "Here," he added, shrugging out of his blazer. "Wear this home so you don't get cold." 

"Okay," Harry said, his voice softening. "I love you so much, Lou." 

"I love you too," Louis said. 

Their kiss tasted like coffee and tea and a little bit like three weeks is too long, Lou and you'll be okay, Haz and then there was one last kiss on the lips before Harry shivered his way to his bus stop with Louis' blazer draped across his broad shoulders. 

Louis watched him go, his silhouette looking elegant as dusk settled across the city, breathing out for a moment and letting his breath swirl into the cold air, just thinking... that's my boyfriend... before he ducked into a cafe to make a quick phone call out of the early December air. 

"Liam? Yeah if you could just get the taxi over by Fourth and Main?... I'm done now... yeah I know I said I'd be done half an hour ago... he's hot, Payno- what else was I supposed to do?... 'Oh yeah, sorry, babe, gotta cut our date short so I can go get wasted' ..." Louis mimicked. "See this is why you're single." Louis laughed. "...I hate you more," he said, "See you in fifteen." He hung up his phone, scrolling through his Twitter feed while he waited for the taxi to show.

His whole body was alight with energy. He hadn't been to a party in what felt like ages, and every single cell in his body was ready to blur out everything from the past few months for one beautiful night where nothing could reach him anymore. The taxi squealed to a stop in front of the cafe, and Louis climbed in, shutting the door and sending off a quick text. 

Louis: On my way. 

Author's Note: so I'm back in uni and I'm trying to swim through all these academic articles and essays- but this story is my space to feel comfortable in the chaos, so no matter how crazy things get, I will be updating at least once a week, I promise. Loving all your sweet comments and laughing while I scroll through all the funny ones! Can't believe how many new readers are here- hi, hope you like the story so far! :)