Chapter Thirty-Three

Please no more comments on how there's no detail in this chapter, if I'm not comfortable writing it, I'm not obligated to write it. There's tons of smut online and not every author needs to put it in every story. "Are you gonna be my girl" by LoadedGunn on ao3 is a bottom harry christmas smut piece if that's what you'd like to read and then come back to this story when you're done! it should come up easily when you google it (it's rated as explicit, so please don't read it unless you're old enough/comfortable with that stuff).  

* *  *  * * 

"I think they like you," Harry smiled, sipping at his hot cocoa as Louis stretched his legs out on the couch. Louis looked so cozy by the fireplace, Harry was in a trance just from watching the way the fire lit up his blue eyes.

"Good," Louis sighed. "I mean your mum and your sister are amazing but I feel like I've been panicking the whole time that they secretly don't like me."

"Don't worry," Harry said, "I can always tell when my mom doesn't like someone." He smiled into his hot cocoa, thinking of all the times his mom had made little comments to him that weekend when Louis was out of the room, saying things like 'I think I like this one' or 'we have to keep this one, darling, he helps with the dishes'.

"Should we do Christmas gifts by the way?" Louis asked, moving his fringe away from his eyes. "I mean, now that we're alone?"

"Who says I got you anything?" Harry teased, but he leaned down and pulled two beautifully wrapped boxes out from underneath the sofa, nervous as he held them that maybe Louis wouldn't like them. 

Gift-giving was a nerve wracking experience sometimes.

"Wow, way to show up my wrapping skills," Louis said, handing over a lumpy wrapped gift, and a little poorly wrapped box. Harry held the tiny box closer to him, already in love with the little gift he hadn't even opened.

"You open yours first," Harry insisted.

Harry looked over to see his boyfriend beaming with excitement, a little nervous as Louis started to open the first box.

"No no no," Harry said, taking it out of his hands. "That's your Christmas gift! You need to open your birthday one first, your birthday comes before Christmas!"

Louis' eyes crinkled when he smiled over at Harry. The younger boy knew everyone always forgot to separate Louis' birthday and Christmas presents. He held out the other box, the one with the faint cursive pattern on the wrapping paper spelling out 'Happy Birthday!'. Louis ripped the paper off and pulled out a new laptop charger and a portable phone charger.

"Because yours are always going missing," Harry explained shyly.

Louis grinned, setting the presents carefully aside. He set to work on his Christmas present next, unwrapping it to find a soft cable knit throw blanket.

"Oh wow, this is beautiful," Louis said, "Thank you so much, babe." He kissed Harry gently on the forehead, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders.

"My turn?" Harry asked, reaching for the small box first.

"Yeah," Louis said, "I know it's not much but-"

"Oh my gosh," Harry whispered, peering into the little box to see the delicate chain inside. There was a tiny charm of a swallow, barely bigger than his pinky nail, silver and glinting softly by the light of the fireplace. Harry lifted up the ends of his hair, where the curls were staring to cover the nape of his neck.

Louis' eyes seemed transfixed for a moment at the ivory column of Harry's neck, not cluing in on what to do until Harry looked over at him with a bashful smile.