4

Ashley

A week later, my entire family, Maya, and I piled into the car to begin the trip to our destination.

Maya's old house.

It was a nerve-wrecking drive consisting of my brothers constantly snatching the bag of chips out of each others hands, my mom trying to put on eyeliner as we came across bumpy spots in the road, and my dad playing his funky, old school music.

Maya and I sat impatiently in the back behind my brothers, our fingers tangled together and our heads placed upon each other. I rubbed her hand lovingly because I could feel her quivering slightly, clearly telling me that she was anxious.

"We're almost here. Take a deep breath," I said, kissing the top of her head. She bit her lip nervously and squeezed my hand.

We hopped out of the car one by one, my father leading us towards the front door. He knocked, clearing his throat and adjusting the collar on his button-up shirt.

"Who in the world is that?" Someone spoke from behind the door, the voice sounding muffled. It swung open and there stood Maya's mother with curlers in her hair and sleep attire on her body.

"Jesus Christ," She said, her eyes widening. "You people could have given me a warning."

"Hello, miss," My dad spoke up politely, sticking his hand out. "Christopher Frangipane."

She looked my father up and down, then her eyes trailed back to my mother, brothers, and finally on Maya and I.

She shook his hand hesitantly and looked over at my mom.

"Nicolette Frangipane. Call me Nycki," My mom said, her voice stern and loud.

Maya's mom looked down at her attire once more and cursed at herself under her breath.

"Come in. I don't know why you people chose to show up unexpectedly. Christopher is going to be up my ass about this," She said angrily, walking towards the living room.

We awkwardly followed suit, each of us finding places to sit on the couches. Maya sat sideways on my lap, her fingers never leaving mine.

"This should be good," My brother Sevian said, rolling his eyes and putting his earphones in. I nudged his arm with my elbow and gave him a scolding look.

"Alondra, I am not going out there!"

We heard the loud voice boom from somewhere down the hall, the deep voice reverberating throughout the house.

"It's my dad," Maya spoke up quietly, her voice cracking. My parents shot her a sympathetic look from where they were sitting, their bodies across from ours. Dante innocently sat on my mothers lap, his eyes beginning to droop. The poor kid was tired.

Maya's mom stomped angrily out into the living room again, but this time, the curlers were out of her hair and she was wearing something more appropriate.

"Don't get yourselves too comfortable. You're not going to be here much longer," She said, walking sassily to one of the seats. She crossed her arms across her chest and glared at each and every one of us.

We sat in an awkward, uncomfortable silence as we waited for Maya's father to walk out.

"I love you," I whispered into Maya's ear, trying to cheer her up. She mouthed her response, too scared that her quiet voice would be the loudest thing in the room.

All of a sudden, Maya's dad walked out, his gaze intense and unwelcoming.

"I see you disappointments have made your way back into my house," He scoffed, taking a seat next to his wife.