10

Ashley

Stepping out of our shower, the bathroom was enveloped with steam, the mirrors and windows fogging up and the moisture in the air causing droplets to form on them.

I sat in my robe on the bed as Maya got herself ready in the bathroom. Impatiently, I tapped my foot up and down, waiting for her to come out.

"Hey, you," She said as the door swung open, her voice barely above a whisper.

I widened my eyes and patted the spot on the bed beside me, urging her to take a set. She sat down facing me and pulled her luscious, curly hair onto one side, playing with the individual curls by pulling on them. I could tell she didn't quite want to bring up the topic again.

"You look divine," I breathed out quickly, looking her up and down. She smiled sadly and brushed a stray curl off her forehead.

"You don't have to change the subject before we even start speaking about it," She laughed somberly. "But thank you."

I sighed and ran my hand over my face with exasperation.

"Do you really believe that Sky is going to act out on her words?" I asked curiously.

She frowned and nodded her head slowly.

"I know so, Ashley. Ever since you've met her, she's been trying to take you away from me. Can't you see?"

"In my defense, I cheated and she had no idea I was even taken because I never mentioned it," I replied sadly, a pang of hurt shooting through my heart as I heard my own words.

Maya shuddered and pain flashed across her features for a moment, only adding to my regret. I pretended not to notice, but it killed me to know that I had hit a sore spot.

The room remained quiet for a minute or two, the only sound being the ticking of the clock on the wall.

"It still hurts," Maya whispered quietly, causing my breathing to hitch and my eyes to begin to glisten with tears.

"Maya," my voice cracked. "You know how much I regret it. I'm a monster. I just keep bringing problems into this relationship instead of removing them. Now, we have another ton of shit dropped onto our heads to worry about."

She bit her lip harshly to prevent it from quivering.

"You were supposed to always protect me, not hurt me," She whimpered, a single tear rolling down her cheek.

That was my breaking point. I stood up from the bed and walked over to the wall, screaming as loud as I could and punching it until my knuckles began to sting and turn red.

I hissed and looked at my knuckles, seeing the skin peeling and feeling the pain radiate through my hand.

Regardless of the pain, I continued to punch the wall repeatedly, figuring that the pain would distract me from my emotions. Boy, was I wrong.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," I screamed out, my punches slowing down and my hand becoming limp.

"Ashley, stop!" Maya yelled, her eyes now flowing freely with tears. "Stop it!"

She tried pulling me away, only to find me sliding my back down against the wall and propping my knees up, hiding my face in my legs.

"I'm so fucking stupid," I yelled, out of breath and in a massive amount of pain.

Maya sat down beside me. She was left speechless at my behavior. Never had I ever broken down so badly in front of her.

"Ashley, breathe. Please, take a deep breath," She cried out sadly, sniffing and rubbing my back.

My knuckled dripped blood down onto my hand, the red liquid trailing down my arms as I held it upright.

"Let me clean you up," Maya said shakily, grabbing the first-aid kit from the bathroom.

She returned slowly and crouched down before me, pulling out the antiseptic and some cotton pads.

Grabbing my hand carefully, she rubbed the wounds with the soaked pad, wiping slowly and hearing me hiss through my tears. I tried pulling my hand back, but she held it firmly and shook her head at me.

"It's for your own good," She said sternly, using her other arm to wipe her tear-stained cheeks.

By the time she was done cleaning my hand, my body was too numb and overworked to process what had just gone on.

"I'm a mess, Maya," I croaked, no longer able to produce tears because I felt that I had cried out all the water in my body.

She sighed and remained sitting across from me, grabbing both my hands and rubbing the top of them.

"We'll figure something out, Ashley. We always do. Just don't scare me like that ever again," She breathed out, a frown appearing on her face.

I took a shaky breath and blinked my dry, red eyes slowly.

"I fucking live for you, Maya. I love you. Whatever happens, just remember that," I cried out, my voice cracking from dryness.

"Why are you saying it like that? Like you're going to leave me?" She replied frantically, her eyebrows raising.

I shrugged and placed my numb hands at the sides of her face, pulling her in for a kiss that lasted for what seemed to  be an eternity.

We both pulled away breathlessly, our lips stinging from such a passionate, need-filled kiss.

"I have something to take care of. Stay in bed and don't go anywhere. I love you so much," I spoke up sternly, pecking her swollen lips once more.

Before she could respond, I stood up weakly and swung the door open, shutting it abruptly behind me.

Sky, you've got a big storm coming. Watch your back.