18

Ashley

Maya drove home slowly for us, the atmosphere quiet and tense. I propped my legs up on the dashboard and looked out my window while we rolled past bars, theaters, and shopping centers.

"Ash," Maya spoke up, taking one hand off the wheel to nudge my arm. I snapped my attention over to her, nodding my head up as if to ask "what's up."

"Can we start talking about everything?" She asked, looking straight out at the road. Stopped at a red light, she turned her attention back onto me and gave me a pleading look.

I sighed and rubbed my face, trying to avoid confrontation.

"I guess," I muttered, picking at my chipped nail polish.

"They arrested Joe after you fainted. I know he was behind this with Sky, but she's still out there and I can't help but live in fear of her," Maya explained sadly.

I frowned and grabbed her hand that was on my thigh, squeezing it.

"I promised to protect you, Maya. You know that."

She let out an exasperated laugh and tapped her fingers against the steering wheel.

"Yeah, I know you did, but look where that got us," She scoffed, leaning her head back against the headrest of the seat.

"Excuse me? I had no control over what happened to you, Maya. If I knew he would pull this type of shit, do you really think I'd let him go through with it? Don't be irrational," I replied in frustration, shocked as to why she hinted the blame at me.

The rest of the car ride dragged on for what seemed to be an eternity, only to snap me out of my daze when Maya pulled up to McDonald's and turned off the engine.

"Get out. I'm getting us food," was all she said, her voice monotone.

I sighed and followed suit, walking into the restaurant and finding a table to sit.  I didn't want to wait in line with Maya. Who knows what else we would argue about? My phone beeped in my pocket, the sudden noise causing me to jump.

(1 New Message)
Maya: I'm sorry baby :( can I make it up to u with fries and sweet tea??

I looked down at my phone like a madman, a big smile creeping onto my face. I quickly typed up a response.

To: Maya
fries, sweet tea, and a side of u?

I joked, looking back at where Maya stood in line. Her head snapped up after reading the message, a cheesy grin on her face. She stuck her tongue out at me and walked to the next available cashier to order our food.

A few minutes later she arrived at the table, all our food placed on the tray in her hands.

"For you," She said, placing my food in front of me. My stomach growled embarrassingly as the scent of the fries hit my nose. That's what happens when you get fed with hospital food. You just don't eat that shit.

"And for me," She smiled, placing a vanilla milkshake and small cheeseburger before her.

"Uh, you forgot to get me something," I said seriously, looking up at her. She gave me a questioning look, tilting her head a bit to the side.

"I wanna eat you on the side," I joked, watching her burst into a fit of laughter. She shook her head and sat across from me, beginning to quickly unwrap her burger.