Chapter 22- Once Overwhelmed

I awake as the morning sun rises over the horizon. I was full of energy and out of bed and dressed in a couple of minutes. Esmerelda and Ryder were still fast asleep. I slip out of my room and creep downstairs. I walk through the dark and silent halls, slowly making my way to Jackson's office.

As I reach the room, I heard many voices mumbling. I lean against the door, my ear pressed to the cold wood, trying to eavesdrop. "EEK!" I screech as the door swings open under my weight and I fall into the room.

All eyes go to me. Alpha Laurence, Alpha Deric, Mia, Xander, and Alpha Jackson were all there. I cough slightly, "Um, sorry, I was trying to find the kitchen...."

"Oh Syrina! You are completely fine, my dear. We were actually going to send Xander up to get you!" Alpha Laurence says with a full blown smile.

My eyes narrow as I look at Xander. He squirms under my hateful glare.

"Erm, Syrina, please take a seat." Jackson says with a nervous tone. Jackson is never nervous. Mia smirks, gently petting Jackson's arm, almost pressed up against him. Something is not right.

I take a seat next to Xander.

Alpha Laurence, Deric, and Jackson talked about pack deals and trades for a good hour. I pretty much zoned out and just read facial expressions.

Jackson did not to make eye contact with me. Every time we did, he would blush scarlet and look away. Xander had this nervous/excited glow to him. Mia was sneering at me. Alpha Deric and Alpha Laurence were glowing with happiness.

A knock wakes me from my trance and stops Alpha Laurence and Deric in their talk about trading cattle for sheep.

A short, shy curly haired mail-boy pops his head in. "Um," he licks his lips, "Mail for Alpha Syrina."

Alpha Deric looks up at me, "You are an alpha?" He asks with surprise.

I nod my head as the servant comes over to me and gives me two envelopes.

He bows and leaves.

Deric and Laurence return in to their talk. I pry open the first envelop.

Dear Syrina,

It is I, your mother. Sorry I have not been able to contact you earlier. I have been busy. I heard that you are now a successful woman, and I congratulate you on your success. I would like to meet you. Please mail me back a good time and date. We will meet in the Black Mountains.

Sincerely,

Rose

"My mom is alive?!?" I gasp in my mind. My thoughts were eaten up quickly with: was this true, if this was a trap, was my mom actually excited to see me, was she proud, is she okay, how does she look like, would she be able to explain my tattoo, is....

"Jackson and Mia will get married to combine the packs!" Alpha Laurence slams him hand on the table with a glowing grin. I snap out of my thoughts, "What?!?" I squeak.

Mia sneers at me, "What can I say, Alpha Jackson has accepted my hand in marriage. Isn't that right baby?" She coos.

Jackson gulps, his face turning bright red. Mia smirks.

"Syrina, we also found a way for you to join this pack." Alpha Laurence continues.

I watch Mia as her hand crawls up Jackson's leg and when it reaches its mark, my eyes meet Jackson's.