{XVII.} Gunshot Graze.

When Vanessa turned away from James and dove back into the water she felt this strange feeling. James dove under next to her, looking at her confused as she looked around for this vibe feeling she was getting of panic. When she face east, the feeling was stronger. It wasn't going the oppsite way of shore, just more towards the next town. She pushed her arms and tail to move her towards it, feeling James take her arm.

She didn't swim to far away, probably four miles the most in a couple of moments before she stopped and saw a net grabbing a hold of flounder fish. She could tell by just looking at them how they panicked swimming around in the net trying to break free. Even though they weren't actually, she could see the cry for help in their eyes.

Vanessa rose up to the surface with James as she looked at the familiar boat of Raphael family. His two uncles were chatting amongs themselves, completely oblivious of the two mermaid only half a mile away.

"Vanessa, you can them can't you?" James asked. She nodded without turning to look at him and he breathed out heavily, "Oh thank God, I thought I was going crazy. We should help them, shouldn't we?"

She took one last look at the boat before nodding and they both went back into the water. Swimming over towards the net, she grabbed onto it. James swam up beside her, trying to rip the net but it was strong. She knew she needed a knife.

She felt the net move and she released it. The flounder inside inside also panicked, swimming around quickly. She quickly grabbed a hold of it, tugging harder and hard.

She saw something in the corner of her eyes and she looked at James to see his hands gripping on the knife freeze up. He heavily glared at the freezing net with a hard focus until he gave out a cry and the piece of frozen net shadders like glass. James eyes widen when Vanessa did and they looked at each other only for a second before grabbing each end of the net and ripped it more open as the fish swam out as quick as they could. Even when the net went to the surface, many of them jumped out.

A big smile broke out onto Vanessa face as many of them swam around them with these happy vibes as if they were thanking them and happily swam away.

Something flew into the water with a whoosing noise near Vanessa that made her jerk. Another thing whooshed in and then another one before she realized it was bullet. Out of reaction her arms flew up as if her arms would protect her from the bullets. More and more around them both before James grabbed her arm and pulled her arm but as she moved a bullet grazed her arm. She cried out, pulling her arm away from James and she put her hand over the bleeding scartch. She turned her head and was able to see Raphael uncles trying to look in the water. One of them pointed near her and she gasped.

James grabbed her and made her swim deeper into the water, a bit of her tail popping out the surface as they swam deep and away.

*

The girls worriedly crowded around Vanessa in the garage as they apologized for not being there to protect her. Kyoko wrapped her arm up even though it wasn't bleeding anymore. It more hurt like a bruise after getting a shot from the doctors.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." she said to them. She forced a smile to reassure them, "Really, I am. I would do it again if that meant the fish got out the net. Thanks for the concern but there's no reason to be."

Hasina frowned as she wrapped her arm around her, "We shouldn't have left our queen, our jobs is to help and protect you."

Vanessa chuckle, "Here I thought it was my job to protect you. Girls, seriously I am fine. It was just a scartch and I still here aren't I? To relax."

Alia pouted, "We promise to make sure nothing harms you again though. We need you."

Tavia nodded, "Yes, you were the one to give us a reason to be in the sea again. To get out of the arctic one."