{XIX.} Bravery.

Both Raphael and the girls didn't want Vanessa going out in the water by herself. She saw the stressed worried looks on their faces before she ran out into the water. She swam forward, looking around for some clues around to where they took him to but she couldn't find anything. She went lower into the water but it was pointless since she couldn't find any clues and she already gone six miles out.

She felt this strange feeling someone was watching her from behind that made her back stiffen. She turned her head slightly around to see a water form of a snake like the other day that had attacked Raphael but at least four times bigger.

Even in water, she could hear it hissing even though it was made of water and it made her blood feel ice cold. It slithered in the water as it came near her and she dodged the snake.It quickly turned around, hoping it's mouth and came after her.Holding both her hands up, she held the snake form back but it felt like she was trying to push something heavy. Pressing her lips firmly together, she pushed her arms out forward and the snake hissed as it's icy fangs length.

The tail sneaked up from under her and grabbed her tail. It pulled her down and she let go of the snake as she cried out. She held her hands down, trying to grab onto the snake tail but her fingers only went through it. It was twice the size of an anaconda, she could feel the snake tail crawling further up her tail up to her waist.

Fear and panic washing over her, she screamed out as she tried to get out. She heard a loud thunder from the sky but she was overcome with fear she couldn't focus hard enough. The snake hissed as it lowered it's head to her and she felt her heart race. It hissed once before it lunged at her and she squeezed her eyes shut.

Then when it was only an inch away it suddenly disappeared. She didn't it's trail around hers or it's hold. Opening her eyes, she looked to see it was indeed gone. She turned around, looking to see if it was some trick but dozens of feet away she saw Queen Severina and two of her mermaids. Adalyn was with them but the mermaid was holding her. Vanessa fear didn't stop as Adalyn had a shell against her mouth, her legs kicking around. Queen Severina looked pissed as she turned to Adalyn and grabbed her chin, removing the shell from her mouth. Adalyn held her mouth shut as she tried hard to hold her breath.

Vanessa moved her tail but they turned and quickly left. Knowing she couldn't catch up to them—especially Queen Severina.

Breathing heavily, she cursed in her head and rose up to the surface. Seeing Coasta Sirenas light on the east side, she went away from the lights to continue to look for James. Going back under the water, she hurried looked around for him. They apparently didn't have James with them but they did have Adalyn which explained why she hadn't come back. Vanessa only felt more guilty and ashamed. They took Adalyn because of her.

After swimming another mile, she saw something at the bottom of the surface. She winced, looking closer to see a passed out James. Her eyes widen with concern as she quickly came down towards him. She found a chain around both his wrist where heavy pieces of metal were. She tugged at them, trying to break them fear from his wrist.

James eyes peeled open a bit to look at her and she grabbed his face, trying to tell him to keep them open. They fluttered though and closed again. Panicking, she wrapped her arms around his chest and lifted him up. He was much heavier with the chains and metal. She swam up to the surface as fast as she can.

When they reached the surface, James head fell back and she grabbed his head to lift it up, "James,wake up." she said, shaking his head. She shook him a bit, "James! Oh God, this shouldn't be happening. You haven't even shifted yet!"

"Vanessa!" she heard her name being yelled. She turned her head around, seeing Raphael and the girls a few yards away.

*