{XI} Journey To The Arctic.

Vanessa walked over to Adalyn who was fast asleep on the guest bedroom bed. She sat on the bed and nudged Adalyn. Adalyn groaned, swapping her hand towards Vanessa and telling her to ‘go away’. It was early, almost six o’clock and no one wants to wake up at six o’clock but this is important.

“Adalyn, wake up.” Vanessa said. “Something serious happened.”

Adalyn groaned, pulling her covers up closer to her, “What? What is so important that you need to wake me up for?” She didn’t open her eyes and she appeared too fallen asleep, so Vanessa pinched her roughly. Adalyn sat up quickly, hissing, “Vanessa! Ow.” she hissed, rubbing the spot on her arm where Vanessa pinched. She pushed her blonde hair out of her face, rubbing her eyes as she yawned. She glared at Vanessa than, “What?”

Vanessa held her hand up where the seashell scar was and Adalyn eyebrows furrowed together, confused. “Do you know what this is?”

She winced, staring at it for a moment before shaking her head, ‘No, I don’t. How’d you do it?”

“I didn’t do it, she did.” Vanessa said and Adalyn arched her eyebrow. “Queen Severina. I had walked out of this house like a zombie and went to the beach. Raphael and James was there, but Raphael was completely fine. James and I held hands while we were under Queen Severina chance and I saw things. James has it to. Adalyn, Queen Severina is trying to do something with me.”

“Like?” she asked. “What did you all see?”

Vanessa lowered her head, looking down at the floral blanket. What she had saw was both James and her under water, kissing. She doesn’t know why, but they were. It scared her and she felt so guilty. None of was right and when she looked at him after, she wanted so badly to see if he saw it. She didn’t feel that way about James. The only person she ever wanted to be with was Raphael since the beginning. She just knows this means something serious between James and her.

She looked up at Adalyn, “I think they means James and I are supposed to be—I can’t say it.”

“Why not?” Adalyn asked.

Vanessa eyes stung up with tears, but she held them back, “Because I love Raphael but I think Queen Severina turned James for me.”

Adalyn put her arms around Vanessa and pulled her towards her for comfort, “I don’t see why Queen Severina would do that, though.”

“I don’t see why either, but I think she wants James and I to be together.” she said. “James is handsome, but he’s not who I want. Adalyn, tell me more about the old mermen.”

“Allot of us didn’t talk about them, but Queen Severina noticed how unhappy some of the girls were without love. She told them to pick a man out and made the men fall in love with them, turning them into merman so they could be lovers.” she said. “But soon the man broke free from the spell and tried going against Queen Severina. She took their tails away and killed them. She banned the girls from falling in love ever again. Mermaids don’t fall in love with humans, but they will with merman. It’s why the girls are so attracted Raphael.”

“Queen Severina is so confusing.” I said.

“Yes, she is. I believe though she didn’t make James just for you, though. She’s planning something.” Adalyn said and Vanessa lowered her head, running her hand through her hair.

Raphael

Raphael was flipping through a magazine when he felt a presence in the store. He lifted his head to see Zirina, a mermaid who had showed up at Adalyn graduation party came in. She smiled at Raphael, waving before she walked around the shop. Raphael winced his eyes, walking out from around the counter. He walked over where he noticed the girl going, but she wasn’t there. It’s as if she just vanished.