Chapter 20

"I said no Rachel." He says to me, his anger rising.

"I heard you." I snap back, crossing my arms over my chest.

It's not like I wanted to fight, he's just being unreasonable. He's letting his pain and anger get in the way of thinking clearly. He does it a lot, but I try to prevent it when I can. He's trying, I know he is, but this is a two way street.

"Why are you being like this?" He asks and stands from his bed, his frustration now prominent.

"I'm not being like anything." I lie, hearing my own voice getting angry as well.

"That's crap." He says, and takes a few steps forwards. "Why are you acting like its a crime for me to want you here safe while I go to Ohio?"

"You can't do everything by yourself." I explain. "You think you're indestructible but you're not."

"I know I'm not." He fires back, the power in his voice rises. "Look at me Rachel." He gestures to the scar on his eyebrow and lifts the front of his shirt, revealing the rest. "I know I'm not fucking indestructible."

"No, you don't." I challenge him, meeting his volume. "This thing with your dad, you're going to feel things. You think you can do it by yourself but you just can't!"

"You don't know that!" He yells right back. "Just trust me on this one!"

His chest rises and falls quickly with his shaking breath. He's mad, visibly angry with me. It's intimidating but we're equally matched in this game, he takes it as well as he gives it.

"Whatever I'm not going to fight with you." I roll my eyes and pick up my bag. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I head towards his bedroom door, remembering that I'm in my underwear and his shirt. We were going to go to sleep, but he needs to calm down. I'd rather be back at home while he takes some time to realize he's being dumb about it. This isn't going how I thought it would.

"Rachel don't be ridiculous, come to bed." He demands, following me into the living room. He still sounds pissed and even when he isn't he doesn't take no for an answer.

"Let me come to Lucasville." I fire back, the front door is in sight.

Marshall's hand clamps on my forearm, turning me back around to face him. He holds me tightly, enough so I can't move away but not enough to hurt. I roll my eyes and I look up at him.

"Don't give me that." He orders in response to my eye rolling. "It's a no Rachel. That's the end of it." The authority in his voice is prominent.

"Those things are public." I tell him. "If you don't take me I'll go myself and meet you there."

Marshall bites his lip and closes his eyes, inhaling in frustration. He hates when I do this, but I hate when he does this also. Both of us are stubborn, I don't know how we work anything out.

"You're not going." He says, trying to stay calm.

"We'll see about that." I tug my arm away from him and turn back towards the door.

"Rachel!" He yells at me, but I don't listen to him. "Don't walk away from me!"

His hand prevents the door from opening and I turn around to him extremely close. I look up at him, his tall figure towering over me. I can feel his hot frustrated exhales on my face. And I don't feel scared this time, not like I was for our last fight. Maybe a little frazzled but not scared, and I bite down hard on my lip to help control the loudness of my breathing.