Chapter 21

I've decided against going to Ohio with Marshall. Even though we fought over it countless times, it's better that I'm not there. He begged me to go with him last night, I know he's worried I could be pregnant again. He was reluctant to leave, but I told him that this was something he needed to do. And until I know if I'm pregnant or not, there's nothing to worry about.
Today I'm at home, with Thatcher. I haven't told him anything yet. I'm nervous and I'm unsure why. It's not like I know for sure, and I won't be able to know at least for another week.
I get out of my bed and head down the hall into Thatcher's room. He's awake but not doing anything and I roll in the bed next to him. We lay for a couple minutes, both of us just staring up at the ceiling.

"When's Marshall coming back?" He asks, breaking the silence.

"Tonight." I answer.

"You okay?" He tries again, turning his head to look at me.

"I have a thing." I say, exhaling. "I don't want you to freak out because I don't know if anything is for sure yet."

"Oh my God." Thatch props himself up on his elbow and smiles wildly at me. "Are you gonna say why I think you're gonna say?"

"There is a chance, a small chance, that I could be pregnant." I tell him, biting down on my lip.

"Oh my God." Thatcher can't control his smiling. "How many chances? Like once?"

"At least twice." I tell him, even though I remember doing it more than that. "But don't get all excited I don't know anything yet."

"Are you excited? Does Marshall know?" He scooches closer to me. "He knows right?"

"Yes of course he knows." I laugh once, it's kind of his fault anyway.

"Are you alright though?" He asks me.

"I mean I think so." I say, the conversation taking a more serious turn. "I just want to know for sure first."

"How long has it been?" He asks. "I mean since the first time."

"Couple weeks." I say. "It's still too soon to tell."

"Well not necessarily." He contradicts. "We could go to the hospital today and find out."

"Aren't you going to the gym with Cash today?"

"Yeah but, this is more important." He shrugs. "Plus I barely get to see you. Lover boy keeps you pretty busy."

I shove him playfully and he rolls his head back, laughing. He regains his balance on his elbow and then pushes himself up, sitting on his heels.

"Come on, I think we should." He says. "Wouldn't you like to know so you can tell him for sure or not?"

"I would." I tell him. "But if we do this, you can't tell anyone. Not Ren, not Cash, nobody."

"I promise." He smiles from ear to ear. "Let's go, come on."

I stand up from the bed and go to get dressed. I guess I'm really doing this, we're gonna know for sure. I'm thankful I get to do this with Thatcher. He'll know exactly what to say no matter what happens.

***

~Marshall's P.O.V.~

Why isn't she picking up her phone? This is the third time I've called. I hope she's alright, with everything happening lately I didn't want anything more than to be with her. Or for her to be with me, here.
The execution was quick. I'm not sure he even knew I was there. I wasn't the only one who showed up. There were a few lawyers there, documenting. My uncle on my mothers side was there, he didn't recognize me. I made no effort to talk to him. I don't know what he was doing there, if I remember correctly he never liked Jon. He never really liked my mother either. The last time I saw him was my 8th birthday, he gave me my first pair of boxing gloves. That's really the only memory I have of him. Aside from him there were about five other people whose faces I couldn't place.
I can't describe this feeling of relief I have. It feels like a five hundred pound weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It's over, it's all finally over. She's safe, I can keep her safe. I can keep our kids safe, I can be what we need now.
I'm sitting in the attorneys office now, waiting to discuss this inheritance thing. I need to talk to her, it's been a hell of a day and hearing her voice would make it easier. I pick up the phone and dial her again. It rings for a while and then she finally picks up.