Chapter 24 (part 2)

~Marshall's P.O.V.~

I hold her to my chest, I know she's mad at me. Even though I told her I love her and she said it in return, both of us know this is far from over. I only stopped yelling because she started to cry. I can't handle seeing her like that, especially not after our 'break'. She can't leave me again, and every time she tries to go I have horrible visions of that day. I know she wants to go, but she'll stay if she knows me at all. I need her now.

"We can't keep ignoring this." She says, her arms dangling at her sides while I cling tightly to her.

"I know." I say.

She's right, this isn't something I'm willing to sweep under the rug anymore. She cries. I always new she didn't like it, always. But now I know more than I'd like, or at least think I would like. It's better I know this now, I can address it. She should be with me if she's crying like that. Maybe this is what Thatcher was talking about, she runs to him. He's her default, her brother, her family. It doesn't matter who I am, no one can compete with that.

"I'm sorry." I mumble quietly, turning my head to lean my forehead against hers. My arms slide from her shoulders to her waist, pulling her to me. I know she doesn't want me right now, in any way, but I need her to remember that even when we fight I still love her.

"I know." She can't look at me, or she won't. I wish she would, I'd kill to see those green eyes head on right now.

"Forgive me." I lightly beg, rubbing my nose on hers once. "For yelling and making you cry."

"I do." She says in a monotone way, I wish she'd let me take her to bed.

"Rachel." I say, putting my hand on her cheek and tilting her face upward. "Look at me." I demand softly, rubbing my thumb on her cheek.

She flicks her eyes up and they shine fiercely. They really are like emeralds, a beautiful contrast with her dark hair. She's perfect, and I wonder if she knows it. I should tell her that more often.

"Will you stay the night?" I ask her, leaning in just enough to where the tips of our noses are barely touching. "Please. I want you to."

"Marshall..." Her voice trails off and she closes her eyes for just a second.

I can't help it anymore, I dive for the kiss. My hand sliding from her cheek to the back of her neck, holding her against me. My fingers curl on the small of her back, balling up the fabric of her shirt. She raises her arms as if she's going to hold me but lightly presses back on my shoulders, I pull back and do my best to restrain myself.

"Please." I say again, looking her directly in those emerald eyes. "I want you here."

"I forgive you." She says, crossing her arms over her chest. "But I'm still mad, I don't like fighting with you."

"I know." I nod, closing the distance between us and letting my eyes run wild over her body. "I'm sorry."

"Marshall." She says again, stepping back.

"Don't say my name like that." I tell her, pulling her back over against my body. "It means you want to go."

"I just want to think." She says softly to my chest, she still won't look at me.

"Think tomorrow." I offer, my hands inching farther down her back. "Let me take you to bed."

She shakes her head once and I think I see a hint of a smirk curling at the ends of her mouth. I raise one of my eyebrows, I think she's messing with me now. I drop my hands over her butt and squeeze her, she gasps and then blushes violently.