Chapter 23

~Marshall's P.O.V~
Words cannot describe the amount of nerves built up inside of me. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I mean, I knew eventually this day would come, but the timing now is so right. I take in a large deep breath, and allow myself only a couple more moments to prepare before I knock on the door. Her mother opens the door, and presses a smile on her face as soon as she sees me.

"Marshall what a surprise." Her smile widens and I can see where Rachel gets it from.

"Hi, Rose." My mind goes blank immediately. Everything I practiced, everything I repeated as a mantra in my mind is all of a sudden gone and I'm at a loss for words.

"Well come in." She laughs, stepping aside to let me in.

I walk into her new home, wondering where Paul is. She urges me to walk into the dining room, making me sit at the head of the table. She rushes to the kitchen and returns with two glasses of iced tea and I can't help but laugh to myself.
She really is a good mother, Rachel is lucky to have her. This is how mothers are supposed to be, giving iced tea to their children's boyfriends. Not shooting up in the back room while their kids are at school.

"So how are you doing?" She asks me, sipping her tea. "I haven't see you in so long, since before Renée's wedding. Before the trip too I think."

My heart contracts, Ren's wedding. I don't know exactly how much Rose knows of our split but I'm not here to discuss that. Actually, I'm here for just the opposite.

"I'm doing very well, thank you." I smile back at her and feel my heart start beating quickly.

"Oh I'm so glad." She flashes her teeth again and then there's a silence between us.

It's difficult for me to breathe. I know that I'm going to have to bring it up. I need to get this started, I have to meet up with Thatcher later and have this whole conversation again.

"Well I know you didn't come for the tea." Rose laughs, leaning forward on the table. "Why are you here Marshall?"

"Oh." Here we go. "I'm sorry I'm kind of all over the place." I apologize, trying to find my breath.

"It's alright dear, take your time." She smiles again at me and drinks some more tea. "I have all day, Paul went to work early this morning. Contractors have a very tight schedule to keep."

"I'd imagine." I agree, trying to find my words. I try to remember what I told the mirror this morning, I had a whole speech. Looks like I'm just going to have to wing it.

"Well, um. Rose, I love your daughter. More than anything in the world." I find it difficult to keep eye contact, I'm very intimidated but she needs to know I'm serious. "I would like to know, out of respect for you, how you would feel about me asking her to marry me."

She stops drinking her tea and slowly puts it back down on the table. Every muscle in my body tenses and I immediately question myself. Oh my God what if she doesn't approve? I hold my breath and watch her reaction. I feel sick to my stomach, like I'm going to throw up. She takes a moment to process and then looks at me, and I swear I can see a tear in her eye.

"Oh Marshall." She smiles wildly at me and oddly it does nothing to calm my nerves. She reaches over and grabs my hand in a motherly way. "It would make me very happy for you to join our family."