Chapter 6

Elvis' POV

I yawn, exhausted as I button up my shirt. I stayed up far too late last night, but I couldn't help it. All I could think about was being out with Anna. There was just something about it. Shaking my head, I check myself in the mirror one last time. I have on a nice white shirt and black slacks, and my hair is slicked just the way I like it. I have a meeting about the Ed Sullivan show today.

Just then there is a knock on my door.

"What?" I call out, making my way out of the bathroom and back into my room. Joe opens up the door and pops his head in.

"We're heading out in a couple of minutes Elvis," he tells me. I nod and follow him downstairs, making sure to say goodbye to Mamma before going outside and getting in the car. The whole ride there I'm pretty tired, but I manage to get through everything relatively smoothly. To be honest, the meeting ends up to be pretty boring and in my opinion pointless, but thankfully it's over pretty quickly. On the way back, a question Joe asks catches my attention.

"Hey Elvis, why're you so tired?" He peeks back at me from his seat up front.

I shrug. No one knows about what I did last night. "It's that girl man, I tell you." I end up saying, running my hands over my face.

Red leans over and elbows me in the ribs. "What'd I say? Told you she was something." I shake my head.

"You have no idea."

Anna's POV

Mrs. Harrison sent me to go get a few things from the store for dinner tonight. I quickly scan over the little list she gave me once more as I check out, making sure I didn't forget anything. The cashier tells me the total and I hand him the money before grabbing the paper bag and strolling back outside. It is a beautiful day, warm and not a cloud in the sky. I take in a deep breath of the fresh air and start on my way back home. In the past couple of weeks I've become a little more familiar with Memphis, becoming able to go places by myself now.

The grocery store isn't too far away from the Harrison's house, so I make it back pretty quickly. Setting the bag down for a moment to open the door, I make my way into the house. Taking off my shoes, I enter the kitchen and set the bag down on the counter. To my surprise, Mrs. Harrison isn't in here. Curious, I wander back down the hallway.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I hear her voice float from the living room, slightly muffled. "She isn't here right now." I furrow my eyebrows and poke my head in. I see Mrs. Harrison perched on the couch with the phone held up to her ear. Margaret stands beside her, hands covering her mouth. I clear my throat, catching Margaret's attention. Her eyes widen and she nudges her mother, pointing at me.

"Actually, you know what," Mrs. Harrison says into the phone, motioning me over. "Anna just got in, she's right here."

She gives me the phone, a big smile on both her and Margaret's faces. Hesitantly, I take the phone and put it up to my ear. Who would be calling me?