Chapter 10

I wake up to the sound of quiet knocking at my door. Opening my eyes, I am met with the bright sun shining in through the window. Squinting, I pull back the blankets reluctantly and get up, walking barefoot over to the door. I open it and find Mary standing there.

"I'm sorry to wake you Miss Anna," she starts sweetly. "But you have a visitor waiting for you downstairs."

I nod wearily, still trying to wake up a little. "Thank you Mary."

After she leaves to go back downstairs I close the door. A visitor? I wasn't really expecting anyone, but I don't question it. Lazily making my way over to the closet, I ponder what to wear. Eventually settling on a mint green blouse and a black swing skirt, I quickly change. After running a comb through my messy head of hair, I head out into the hallway and down the stairs.

The first thing I notice is how quiet it is. Usually the house is full of chattering people, but today there is nothing. When I reach the bottom of the stairs, I see Margaret sitting in the couch in the living room, her awestruck eyes scanning over her surroundings. My face lights up as I rush over to her.

"Oh my goodness, hi!" I exclaim happily. She stands and gives me a hug. "When did you get here?" I ask once she releases me.

"Just a minute ago," she says, still admiring the house. "I figured a girls day was overdue."

I giggle and nod in agreement. I haven't even seen Margaret in more than a week. I take a second and grab my purse, then the two of us head outside. My eyes widen when I see the unfamiliar blue car parked in the driveway.

"Oh my gosh, is this yours?" I ask when I see a key in her hand as she walks around to the driver's side. She bobs her head in a happy nod.

"Yes, isn't it something? I finally saved up enough money for it! Of course Mamma and Daddy helped a little bit, but still! It's mine!"

After a couple of minutes of admiration, we both get in and she backs out of the driveway carefully, and the two of us are off. Our first stop is at a local restaurant for breakfast. I've never been here before, but Margaret seems to be a veteran. She knows most of the waitresses and knows what she wants immediately. I just settle on trusty old pancakes. When we get our food my stomach is already growling. Digging into my huge stack of pancakes, I almost fall in love. They're so good!

After we both finish and pay the bill, we head downtown. We end up walking from store to store, window shopping and just looking around. I end up finding a pair of white stud earrings that are shaped like tiny hearts. They're pretty cheap so I buy them and put them on.

"How do I look?" I ask Margaret, striking a stupid pose like they do on those modeling TV shows. She lets out a laugh and gives me a thumbs up. But when we walk into the next store, she lets out a gasp when she sees the clock. This catches my attention, making me look too. It's almost eleven thirty, but I don't see what the big deal is.

"Oh gosh," she says quietly, briskly heading back over to the door.