Chapter 15

The next few months bring a great deal of change with them. Elvis has been working on a few projects, so he's been in and out for a bit. I've stopped working at the library, persuaded by the Presley family's constant badgering. The warm days of summer are long gone, replaced now with the chilly winter weather. But to be honest, it's nothing compared to what I'm used to back home in Wisconsin. Winters up north are a hell of a lot colder than these Memphis ones.

Christmas is just around the corner now, and the whole household has been preparing for weeks. Every square inch of Graceland has been covered in lights, tinsel, and bells. I'm pretty sure just about every room of this house has a tree in it. And for the past week Elvis has been prancing around singing every Christmas song imaginable.

As of now I'm hiding out in my room, doing last minute preparations for the quickly approaching holiday. Last week I took all the money I've saved up and went on a shopping spree, getting presents for everyone. Now I'm doing my best to wrap everything so it looks decently cute. I've been trying to channel what I've seen on Pinterest in years past.

Folding the corner of the wrapping paper down, I tape it in place and clap my hands together happily. Finally I'm done! I've spent the entire morning doing this, and my hands are cramping like crazy. Looking with admiration at my stack of gifts, I mentally sort them. I've got some for Joe, Jerry, Red, Gene, Mary, Gladys, Vernon, Margaret and Robert, Mr. and Mrs. Harrison, and of course Elvis.

Gathering all of them up in my arms, I carefully balance the stack of presents out of my room and downstairs. Making my way to the gigantic Christmas tree in the living room, I kneel down and place them carefully amongst the other gifts. Getting back up to my feet, a noise coming from somewhere else in the house catches my attention. It grows louder and louder as it gets closer, until I am able to make it out to be Elvis belting Jingle Bells.

I stand there listening for a little bit until an idea pops into my mind. I quickly tiptoe to the edge of the living room and crouch down out of sight, waiting. His footsteps approach my position ever so slowly until they sound like they're a foot away. And the second I spot him, I hop up and leap on him, joining in singing the rest of the verse at the top of my lungs.

He jumps up at least a foot in the air and lets out a bloodcurdling shriek of terror, eyes bugging out of his head and arms flailing around. I fall to the ground in uncontrollable laughter, clutching my stomach and wiping tears from my eyes.

"That-was-so-funny!" I manage to gasp out. Elvis looks like he might pass out, hand over his heart and his chest rising and falling with each rapid breath. He glares down at me with narrowed eyes and frowns.

"That ain't funny! You just about scared me half to death!" He scolds sternly, but I can see the corner of his mouth twitching as he tries to suppress his smile. Not too long after he breaks, bursting out into laughter as he helps me up off the floor.

It takes a little bit for the two of us to calm down, but when we do the space between us is replaced by silence. Elvis's smiling face is replaced by a somber one. I raise an eyebrow at this, confused. Elvis's eyes flash up to meet mine.

"I need to talk to you about something." He says softly, reaching out and taking my hand.