Chapter 14

Sitting on Margaret's bed, I watch in wonder as her cousin does her hair in an intricate bridal up-do. All morning I've been fascinated with the talents of her family members. Margaret's mother did everyone's makeup, and her aunt helped all the bridesmaids get into our dresses.

"Finished!" Her cousin chirps happily, brushing off her hands and handing Margaret a mirror. "Do you like it?" Margaret turns to her with a wide smile after she's finished admiring her hair.

"It's amazing! Thank you so much Ruth!"

Just then, Margaret's aunt strolls into the bedroom clapping her hands together. "Well, I think it's about time we get you into that dress of yours!"

Margaret rolls her eyes, smiling. I step out of the room and into the hallway to give them a little privacy, so when she comes out to show me, veil and all, my mouth drops open wide. Her dress is gorgeous, white silky fabric slimming her waist and flaring out like a ball gown at her hips. She wears a string of pearls around her neck, tying it all together beautifully.

"Oh my gosh, you look incredible!" I gush, eyes trailing over the gown. A blush spreads over her cheeks as she grabs my hand.

"Thank you!"

It's not too long before its time for us to go to the church, all getting into cars driven by friends and family of Margaret's. I end up riding with one of her older brothers and three other bridesmaids. By the time we get to the church, it's packed.

Never having been to a wedding before, I find myself smiling the whole time like a kid on Christmas. Everything is just so exciting! And when it's time for the bridesmaids and the groomsmen to go walking down the aisle, I can hardly stand it.

We all line up in the lobby part of the church, behind the doors that lead into the main part where everyone is. I'm going to be walking down with one of Rodger's friends named Ed. And when the couple in front of us goes, I count out the right amount of time before it is our turn. I draw in a deep breath as we go through the doors and into the church.

My eyes scan over the crowd until I find Elvis. He's sitting with his mom and dad, as well as the Memphis mafia. He has a big goofy smile plastered onto his face and gives me a thumbs up as we pass him. I have to force myself not to laugh out loud, which proves to be a challenge.

When it is finally time for Margaret to come out, I can't help but shed a little tear. She's stunning, and her eyes are locked on Rodger the whole time. She clings to her father's arm all the way until they reach the alter, then he kisses her cheek and leaves her. Once Margaret takes her place next to Rodger in front of the priest, things get started.

Their vows are heartfelt and make me blink back tears. And when it's time to kiss the bride, Rodger sweeps her up and plants one square on her mouth. Everyone laughs and applauds, and I can't help but let a tear fall. I'm just so happy for her, and seeing the huge smile on both their faces, I know she's truly happy.

After the wedding, we all pile into the cars again and head to the reception. It is held at a restaurant in town, one that they rented out for the occasion. Everyone finds their tables and takes a seat, and I shake my head smiling when I see that Elvis is seated directly beside me. Smoothing out the skirt of my bridesmaid dress, I sit down.