Chapter 26

ELVIS'S POV

Getting home I feel completely drained. It's as if all the energy has been sucked out of me and all that is left is a shell. I feel horrible. And the fact that the doctors won't let us see her yet is only making everything worse. The only thing that has made me feel remotely better is when I got to see Anna again.

God, it's been so long since I've seen her. Being away is so hard. I've been so busy but I always kick myself for not calling and writing as much as I know that I should. But amongst everything that's falling apart right now, I can't help but hunk that she is the light at the end of my tunnel.

Stepping out of the car once we pull into the driveway I feel like a zombie. The sun has already risen and I would assume that it is somewhere around seven in the morning. I haven't slept in a good 24 hours. I make my way up to the house and unlock the door. When I step inside I feel a strange rush overwhelm me. Home.

It is silent and all of the lights are off. I'm the only one awake. Slipping off my shoes, I quietly make my way up the stairs and start down the hallway. I make it to my bedroom and turn the doorknob when I hear a muffled coughing noise. I peek offer my shoulder and glance down the hallway. I see the bathroom door cracked open and a dim light spilling out through it. I turn and tiptoe over. Looking the crack I can see the small figure of a woman kneeling on the floor in front of the toilet, long auburn hair spilling over her shoulders.

I raise my hand and knock softly on the door frame. "Anna," I call out quietly. "Are you alright?"

I see her shake her head but she doesn't reply. I look sadly at her before opening the door wider and slipping inside, shutting it behind me. I make my way over to her and kneel down beside her. I place my hand in her back and rub small circles in an attempt to comfort her.

"What's wrong? Are you sick?" I ask hesitantly.

At first she does nothing, almost as if she doesn't realize that I'm there. But after awhile she raises her head and tucks the hair covering her eyes behind her ear. I draw in a breath when I see her. Her face is red and splotchy, her eyes are puffy and tear stains run down her cheeks. She's visibly shaking. I feel a pit in my stomach. She's so upset that its made her sick.

"Can you stand up?" I ask her carefully. She lets out a small noise and nods. I quickly raise myself up into a standing position and reach down to help her up. I hoist her up to her feet and keep an arm around her to steady her. I watch as she wobbles when she takes a step. So without even thinking, I scoop her up into my arms bridal style.

"I can walk," she mumbles out quietly, but does no more to fight me on this.

I carry her down the hallway and into her bedroom, gently laying her down in her bed and pulling the blankets up to cover her. Her eyes seem distant as they scan my across my face. Letting out a small puff of air I take a seat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry," I hear her squeak out. It was so quiet, though, that I almost didn't hear it. My eyebrows draw down together.

"Why are you sorry?" I ask, genuinely confused. Anna bites her lip and her eyes dart away from mine. She takes a moment before responding.

"You shouldn't be taking care of me like this. You shouldn't have to." I see tears collecting in the corners of her eyes. Instinctively I reach out for her hand, holding it in mine.

"Hey, it's okay." I shush her calmly.

"But you're going through so much, and I can tell how tired you are. You shouldn't have to be worrying about me too." A few tears escape the corners of her eyes and make their way down her cheeks silently. "I'm just so sorry."

"Shh," I coo, smoothing her hair down and pressing a soft kiss on her forehead. Anna squeezes her eyes shut tightly as a sob escapes her. She shakes her head and clings onto me. I get the feeling that something more is bothering her.

"Anna, talk to me," I whisper into her hair as I hold her, rubbing small circles on her back. "What's really wrong?"

"No," she gasps out between sobs. "I c-can't tell y-you!" Her voice breaks my heart.

"Cant tell me what? Come on," I practically beg. It's killing me to see her this way. Anna usually is so bright and full of life, but right now... I've never seen her so upset.

"I wish," she manages to get out before another sob slips through her lips. She buries her face into my chest, her voice muffled by my shirt. "I wish I c-could say it b-but it's just t-to," she breaks off her sentence, unable to continue. "P-please don't make me s-say it."

"It's okay, baby," I say, my arms tightening around her. "Shh, it's okay."

~~~

ANNA'S POV

The next day is spent in the hospital. We got there early and made camp in the waiting room just like yesterday. Everyone was there once again, Vernon, Red, Joe, Gene, Jerry, and of course Elvis and me. We had been waiting there for about an hour when we are met by a doctor telling us the news that we could finally go and see Gladys. A wave of relief courses over all of us as we glance at each other. Quietly, we all get up and follow the doctor down a series of hallways until we find ourselves outside of Gladys's hospital room. The doctor opens the door and steps inside. Vernon and Elvis instantly rush inside while the rest of us kind of hover back.

I watch as Gladys's two boys hurry over to her, Vernon on her left and Elvis on her right. Elvis kneels at the side of her bed, taking her hand and kissing it.

"I'm here, Mama," Elvis says, his voice breaking.

I take a hesitant step inside the room and lean against the wall beside the door. As I look at Gladys's face I can feel my stomach drop. She's asleep, her sweet face relaxed and free of pain. The thought that she will be gone in just a matter of days is all I can think of. All of a sudden Gladys's eyes flutter open.

"Mama!" Elvis cries out, reaching out and wrapping his arms tightly around her.

"Oh my," she says with a weak smile.

"We've been worried sick about you," I hear Vernon say quietly, a look of relief on his face. Gladys just looks up at him with her kind and loving eyes.

"Well don't be," she manages to get out, her voice sounding weak and unused. "I'll be fine in no time, I promise."

I close my eyes as those words leave her mouth. I think I'm going to be sick.