Chapter 25

It's very early in the morning when I wake up, the sun hasn't even begun to rise yet. But as I groggily sit up, I sense that something is wrong. I have a twisting feeling of anxiety in my stomach and the air around me feels thick and heavy. I pull back the covers and swing my legs off the side of the bed to stand up when I hear something coming from downstairs. I pause, listening carefully. It sounds like rustling and hurried footsteps. Then before I know it I hear my name being called.

"Anna!" It sounds like Joe's voice. I quickly make way to the door and open it, slipping out into the hallway. I hurry down the hall and stop at the top of the staircase. Joe stands at the bottom looking up and me with a panicked expression plastered across his face.

"It's Gladys," he says, sounding out of breath. My stomach drops as I nod my head and quickly turn around and run back into my bedroom. Turning on the light, I sprint to the closet and pull out the first thing that my hand comes into contact with. Yanking off my nightgown, I change lighting fast and hurriedly pull my tangled hair up into a ponytail before running back into the hallway. As I rush down the stairs Joe gives me a brief summary of what's going on.

Apparently Vernon and Gladys got back to Memphis about an hour ago but something was really wrong with Gladys. She was in too much pain so Vernon just took her straight the hospital. That's when Vernon called Joe in a panic and now here we are.

I quickly shove my feet into the first pair of shoes I see and the two of us are out the door. I hop into the passenger seat of Joe's car and before I can even really register what's going on he's already backed out of the driveway and is speeding down the street.

The entire ride there we are both silent. I honestly think that it's a mixture of nervousness and being too exhausted to say anything. But as I stare out the window into the dark August morning all I feel is cold. My entire body feels frozen and numb.

It feels as though we've been in the car forever by the time we get to the hospital. It's kind of a blur to be honest. I'm not really aware of anything until we make it to the waiting room. It is empty except for the two men sitting in the chairs in the far corner of the room. Vernon and Red. They look completely exhausted, especially Vernon. He looks absolutely drained and seems to be on the verge of tears.

When they see us they get up and come over. I feel as though I'm in a haze, only half aware of what they tell us. Gladys' condition has been listed as grave. We are not allowed to see her until the doctors know more. At some point I hear Vernon ask me if I want to be the one to call Elvis and let him know what's going on but I just shake my head no. I know that is something I would be physically unable to do. I don't have the heart to tell him.

This all seems like a movie, like I'm an outsider just watching it all happen before me. I'm expecting myself to wake up at any moment and for Inge to be back to normal. But in the back of my mind I know that is not going to happen. This is reality.

The rest of the day we spend in the waiting room, hardly saying a word to one another. Time drags by at a snails pace as we wait for any news. Sadly, none comes. As it gets later and later into the night, I feel myself fading in and out of sleep as I sit contorted uncomfortably in my chair. At some point I become aware of another person entering the waiting room. Cracking my eye open slightly, I make out a man in a uniform. Elvis.

Without really registering what I'm doing, I spring up from my chair and fling my arms around him in a tight embrace. His arms instantly snake around me, holding me to him close. When we eventually pull away I see that his eyes are red and puffy and his cheeks are streaked with tears. Next he goes to hug his father.

"I got here as fast as I could," I hear Elvis say, his voice muffled as his face is pressed into his father's shirt.

"I know," Vernon replies, patting his back before they let go of each other.

"Can I go see her?" Elvis asks, a look of desperation spread across his face. Vernon shakes his head sadly and I see Elvis's face fall.

We all spend a few more hours there, clustered in the waiting room as we sit in silence. But eventually once it is very late into the night, Elvis asks Joe to take me home. I try to protest but it is no use. I'm completely exhausted and can't really put up much of an argument.

The entire ride back home all I can think about is Elvis and Gladys. I feel absolutely helpless.